Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Postby dantheman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:00 am

Hey guys...check out the last photo in this article on a new improved AR-15 BCG. It includes a weight built into the bolt.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/rifles/surefire-optimized-bolt-carrier-assembly/

Dan
dantheman

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:43 am

dantheman wrote:Hey guys...check out the last photo in this article on a new improved AR-15 BCG. It includes a weight built into the bolt.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/rifles/surefire-optimized-bolt-carrier-assembly/

Dan

The Sincerest Form of Flattery ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:36 am

from what i read its not a stationary weight, but a reciprocating one - ala a dead blow hammer type of system.

problem i see is, its likely to seize up in there, essentially turning it into a CCWS without some significant maintenance - especailly in battlefield conditions over in the sandbox.

i'll say this much, it sure as hell isnt $400 of cool thats for sure. lots of other ways you can throw $400 at an AR to tame over-gassing.
plant_one

Postby wwwthekeeper » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks for a great post. I plan on using this in my .450 build.
wwwthekeeper

Postby 303hunter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Got my weight system installed (thanks Hoot!), and I’m pleased with the performance. Rifle is more accurate, and easier to get back on target.
303hunter

Postby RFE3 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:36 pm

Hi everyone,
I hate to be Dr. Frankenstein and bring this threat to life again but I just got a new BCA 18" Upper in .450BM and am interested in doing this CWS mod to my Bolt. I found a place that has Crankshaft Counter Weights pre made in .625 Dia and 1.20" long and .23lbs (3.68oz).

Midwest Tungsten Service:
https://shop.tungsten.com/tungsten-crankshaft-balance-weight-0-625-dia-x-1-20-long-0-23-lbs/

They are relatively inexpensive at $30 each. I ordered 2 to play with. They fit like a glove in the Bolt, my only concern is that the are slightly under the 4ozs. battered about in this thread. My Question is if the slightly under 4ozs will acheive the desired results? There is still enough room in the rear of the Bolt that I could cut a piece off the 2nd one (about 5/16") and place it behind the first one. This would completely fill the opening in the rear of the Bolt and bring the weight to approx. 4.8ozs. I assume this would be too heavy.

If the std. 3.68ozs will work fine then I'll install it as is.

Many thanks,
Rick
RFE3

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:43 pm

RFE3 wrote:Hi everyone,
I hate to be Dr. Frankenstein and bring this threat to life again but I just got a new BCA 18" Upper in .450BM and am interested in doing this CWS mod to my Bolt. I found a place that has Crankshaft Counter Weights pre made in .625 Dia and 1.20" long and .23lbs (3.68oz).

https://shop.tungsten.com/tungsten-crankshaft-balance-weight-0-625-dia-x-1-20-long-0-23-lbs/

They are relatively inexpensive at $30 each. I ordered 2 to play with. They fit like a glove in the Bolt, my only concern is that the are slightly under the 4ozs. battered about in this thread. My Question is if the slightly under 4ozs will acheive the desired results? There is still enough room in the rear of the Bolt that I could cut a piece off the 2nd one (about 5/16") and place it behind the first one. This would completely fill the opening in the rear of the Bolt and bring the weight to approx. 4.8ozs. I assume this would be too heavy.

Many thanks,
Rick

I'd venture that as long as you're not running an already light BCA, that'll do just fine. Heck, even if you are... Your brass will thank you. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby RFE3 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:06 am

Hoot wrote:
RFE3 wrote:Hi everyone,

Many thanks,
Rick

I'd venture that as long as you're not running an already light BCA, that'll do just fine. Heck, even if you are... Your brass will thank you. ;)

Hoot

Hi Hoot,
Thank you for the Reply...Nothing better than an answer from the man himself. :D Is your's still holding with the JB Weld after all these years?
RFE3

Postby Hoot » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:33 pm

RFE3 wrote:
Hi Hoot,
Thank you for the Reply...Nothing better than an answer from the man himself. :D Is your's still holding with the JB Weld after all these years?

Yep, as strong as the day I first shot it as far as I can determine and not without getting plenty of cleaning solvents and oil exposure after all these years. Admittedly, it doesn't see the frequency of use it saw 12 years ago however. IMHO, half of good adhesion is dependent upon good surface preparation and in the case of JB Weld, careful attention to your mixing ratios.

Back when I was a kid, there was this hardware store called Stefansky's. It was smelly and only modestly maintained. Not like current True Value or Our Own Hardware franchise types but you could find just about anything you ever could need in hardware, albeit often only with the help of the owner. Anyway, on the front counter, there was a pony size Coca Cola bottle with a golf ball JB Welded onto it's mouth. Under it was a placard that said something like, If you can pull the golf ball off of the bottle with only your bare hands, the owner would give you $25.00 gift certificate for use in the store. Kinda like Menard's B.S. rebate. I tried many time to budge it and I was strong for my years. My Dad tried also, both to no avail, as I'm sure other customers had as well. When the old man who ran it passed away many years later, that bottle and golf ball were still joined. Now that is a testimony to the tenacity of JB Weld.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Rockglock86 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:43 pm

What weight buffer is everyone running in there bushmaster with the carrier weight?
Last edited by Rockglock86 on Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockglock86

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles