Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Hoot's CCWS (Cheap Carrier Weight System)

Postby Hoot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:23 am

m113103 wrote:Has anyone tried on of these? http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15rxh.html Would like an opinion before investing in one. :P :P :D

Once, when experimenting with alternatives to the CCWS, I took a standard rifle buffer and removed the sintered iron slugs, replacing them with lead shot. It increased the weight significantly, but I forget how much that was. What I observed was that by adding the weight back in the buffer as opposed to in the BC, the nylon plug on the end of the buffer got battered more, I assume from the additional momentum. Went back to the CCWS.

FWIW and this has been championed by other members, the CCWS helped with the carbine length gas system, but the best solution may be an adjustable gas block if you're trying to overcome over-gassing. Then again, slowing down the BC by limiting the rearward driving gas impingement force doesn't offer much benefit on the forward stroke. From a curiosity standpoint, if I were going to drop a c-note on anything, I might add a little to it and try one of those JPS Silent, Captured Spring units. Not that the spring noise bugs me, but because the design looks well thought out and well executed. They also sell a heavy version. I believe in either the regular or heavy version, they are designed for shorter receiver extension tubes that accommodate telescopic stocks, so you would need their nylon spacer in a rifle length tube. Folks who use them swear by them. One of them is on my bucket list.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Cutright » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:23 pm

Hoot. It has been a while since this thread was started. Is your lead "plug" still holding strong? Do they have an aftermarket one available now? I am thinking of sending mine to Sheepdawg to have him sprinkle some fairy dust on it. Is this part of the "vette" conversion?
Cutright

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Just a side note: There are relatively soft (compared to the original nylon) polyurethane buffer bumpers available...I put one in my 450b with Hoot's CCWS (installed according to instructions; hasn't budged a hoot yet). You just push the roll pin out of the nylon original, and install the polyurethane likewise...with some you will need to drill a hole through the poly plug for the roll pin.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:54 am

Cutright wrote:Hoot. It has been a while since this thread was started. Is your lead "plug" still holding strong? Do they have an aftermarket one available now? I am thinking of sending mine to Sheepdawg to have him sprinkle some fairy dust on it. Is this part of the "vette" conversion?

Yes, its doing just fine. Who are the "they" in your second question. Tubbs has had a similar one for a long time, but I don't know if they still sell it. I didn't care for the fact that once you installed it, you could not open you rifle by simply pulling the rear takedown pin. You have to pull both the front and the rear, to essentially separate the upper and lower halves. If I'm doing a lengthy range session, I like being able to quickly break it open, insert the rod guide and give it a few cleaning passes from the breach. Having to take the rifle entirely apart to do this, does not lend well to the "quickly" part of that. It is not part of the "vette" conversion. Actually, if you buy an upper that already comes with a rifle length gas system, you have the most important part of the "vette" conversion already done. I'm not a fan of drilling any more holes in the barrel than is necessary and never opted to pursue that course. I've seen the underside of a gas port with a bore scope, after many rounds through it. I certainly do not want two of them.

Not my pictures but the second one is testimony to the bad advice some people give you about not removing the burrs produced by the drill bit as it breaks through into the bore. I'm talking about advice that goes like this: Don't bother, just shoot them out over time" :roll:

That having been said, I have a 20" nitrided Franklin Armory barrel with the rifle length gas system and a 1:24 twist, that has about 100 rounds through it. I'd happily trade it even up for a 20" carbine length factory barrel with a similar amount of rounds through it. IE not really broken in yet. To each his own though. If a person wants a "vette" conversion, by all means go for it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Cutright » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks again Hoot for the advise. I was unaware of having to drill more holes in the barrel. I have a 16" barrel that shoots great! I am hesitant to switch since it shoots so good! I saw the Tubbs CWS that you are talking about and I have the same issue with it about taking the entire upper off.
Cutright

Postby Cutright » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:55 am

These AR's are like boats. Once you get one, you want a bigger and better one right away! It's a lot of fun, I just wish I wasn't so reluctant for so long. I am amazed how much there is to such a simple design. I will continue to keep reading and learning and maybe I will get the nerve to build one one of these days!
Cutright

Postby commander faschisto » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:26 pm

You need to build two ARs in order to enter rifle-nirvana: First, a 450B and then a 6.5 Grendel. All else will fade to insignificance. Ommmmmm. 8-)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:56 pm

commander faschisto wrote:You need to build two ARs in order to enter rifle-nirvana: First, a 450B and then a 6.5 Grendel. All else will fade to insignificance. Ommmmmm. 8-)

Sage advice there folks.

There's a keen interest over on the Wildcat Cartridges forum, in the 45 Vrap. It's based upon a 460 S&W case with the rim reworked to function in an autoloader. The slightly longer case (1.80") and higher pressure brings about 150-200fps difference to the table. Less if you load your 450b hotter than SAAMI max recommended pressure, which a lot of members here have discovered is quite do-able. A lot of work being done on behalf of that extra performance. I'm all for experimentation though, in search of a "better mousetrap". That's the joy of the Modern Sporting Rifle, as it's euphemistically referred to now. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Cutright » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:30 pm

I have been eyeing the 6.5grendal for a while and figured that would be my next upper. That and a .22lr
Cutright

Postby Cutright » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:36 pm

I was talking to a bolt action builder and he likes the hot .450 loads over the .460. He builds the "Ultimate Firearms" out of Michigan. They sold the patend to Rem for their muzzleloader
Cutright

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles