A Stock Question A2 or M4?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

A Stock Question A2 or M4?

Postby jt7051 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 am

Hello all,
Found your forum and wanted to ask a simple question. I'm in the process of Building my .450BM. So far I have a DSM Lower with a PSA Lower kit installed. However the kit I purchased came with a Mil. Spec. M4 Collapsible Stock. Looking online most of the major Manufactured .450's have the standard A2 Stock on them. My question is, will this really make a diffrence in the way the BM will shoot? or is it just more of a confort issue? I haven't ordered the Upper yet, but I'll be going with the BM 20".

Thanks,
JT
jt7051

Re: A Stock Question A2 or M4?

Postby Texican Hairless » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:44 am

Welcome aboard. My 450B lower has a Magpul MOE retractable stock. As far as any difference goes, you'll probably feel more recoil with a CAR stock versus A2 due to a lighter buffer. Switching to a heavier buffer should mitigate this difference though. To answer your question, don't expect any difference in how the gun shoots. It's more a matter of taste. I'd say a 20" upper with an A2 stock will probably be better balanced than one with the CAR stock but then again, it's really up to you.
Texican Hairless

Postby Ghost Dog » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi JT, and welcome. I started with the M4, but I found the LOP (lenth of pull) an inch or two to short for my liking. I've have since built another lower and put Gunnut's recoiless A1 upper on.
I find the A1 better for cheek weld and a much better fit for my LOP. I can shoot just as well with either stock, just that the A1 feels and fits much better.
Now if I was out in the woods traipsing about I'd carry the M4.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby Colohunter » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:55 pm

I use a CTR and like it. It is mainly personal preference, I would leave the M4 stock on for now and only switch if you don't like the style.
Colohunter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:16 pm

A lot of us are using the A1 and A2 JH Noonan Recoil-less stocks.
http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jimbo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:16 am

I am using the A2 stock with the sling stud changed for quick connect sling mount. I understand that the A2 is a bit more pleasant to shoot with the 450. Personally I bought a Limbsaver medium size slip on recoil pad for it and was amazed at how much more comfortable it is to shoot. Helped with my accuracy also.
The Limbsaver slip on is 35 bucks everywhere. You can get the exact same recoil pad in a Winchester box sold by Walmart for 20 bucks! Its the same one and marked Limbsaver.
Its a poor mans solution but it sure works and doesn't look bad at all.
A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both.
Jimbo

Postby Hoot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Jimbo wrote:I am using the A2 stock with the sling stud changed for quick connect sling mount. I understand that the A2 is a bit more pleasant to shoot with the 450. Personally I bought a Limbsaver medium size slip on recoil pad for it and was amazed at how much more comfortable it is to shoot. Helped with my accuracy also.
The Limbsaver slip on is 35 bucks everywhere. You can get the exact same recoil pad in a Winchester box sold by Walmart for 20 bucks! Its the same one and marked Limbsaver.

+1

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 9x19MdM » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Hoot wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I am using the A2 stock with the sling stud changed for quick connect sling mount. I understand that the A2 is a bit more pleasant to shoot with the 450. Personally I bought a Limbsaver medium size slip on recoil pad for it and was amazed at how much more comfortable it is to shoot. Helped with my accuracy also.

+1

Hoot

I picked up one of the Med pads this past Sat. I think with a little duct tape and some bailing wire it will fit and function fine on a (mine anyway) CAR stock. I was able to roll the sides down and fit the pad (almost perfectly) to the stock. The only minor issue is there's a little too much rubber at the bottom. I think this could be trimmed or even maybe laced through the bottom sling slot to help keep the pad in place.
9x19MdM

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:28 pm

I am in the process of building a lower for my 450 using a Mako GL-Shock stock. It has a built-in spring to reduce recoil. There are some YouTube Vidoes on it - you can find several at http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mako+gl-shock&oq=mako+gl-shock&aq=f&aqi=g-C1&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=4156l8235l0l10360l13l7l0l0l0l0l953l2296l1.1.3.1.6-1l7l0.

Up to now, I have used something like the limbsaver - a hardish rubber piece that slips over the end of the butt. I have shot up to 100 rounds of 450 in a single session with no particular problems.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:42 pm

Texican Hairless wrote:Welcome aboard. My 450B lower has a Magpul MOE retractable stock. As far as any difference goes, you'll probably feel more recoil with a CAR stock versus A2 due to a lighter buffer. Switching to a heavier buffer should mitigate this difference though. To answer your question, don't expect any difference in how the gun shoots. It's more a matter of taste. I'd say a 20" upper with an A2 stock will probably be better balanced than one with the CAR stock but then again, it's really up to you.

:? i've used the magpul 6position; which works great for plinkin',shootin',tactical adjustments and the A2 shorty which works for carrying, tactical shootin' with a 3pt sling. but for hunting... :? i'm going back to the A2 rifle length for my 20" upper. 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles