Plum Crazy poly AR lowers...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Plum Crazy poly AR lowers...

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:44 pm

i've located some complete ar lowers for $150-165 each... complete!!! :? but they are made of polymer like the glocks. :? does anybody out there know anything about them? :|
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Re: Plum Crazy poly AR lowers...

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:32 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote:i've located some complete ar lowers for $150-165 each... complete!!! :? but they are made of polymer like the glocks. :? does anybody out there know anything about them? :|

Hey DU, some of them are pretty darn good. I guess it depends on the maker and do you trust them or do they have a good reputation, etc? ..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:07 pm

:) thanks T... :? went to ar.com and found out what i needed to no :| if you know what i mean 8-)
:| prolly wont fool with it :cry:
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby BayouBob » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:21 pm

I bought a couple of the Cav. lowers. One is chartreuse I built with a DPMS lower parts kit and a DPMS Sportical upper. It made a neat light weight AR for my fiance. Shoots really well. The other one has a RR lower parts kit and I put a Bushmaster Carbon 15 22 LR upper on it and it is a joy. (I lucked into one of the Bushmaster .22 uppers that performs flawlessly.) I don't see why a CAV-15 lower wouldn't work with a 450 upper. Maybe the recoil would cause the pins to waller out?
Attachments
Maryl's rifle.jpg
Maryl's rifle.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 11572 times
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:56 pm

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby MudBug » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:40 am

Yes, I have a Polymer Lower, but it is a Cavalry Arms, it's a different animal, they realized that polymer would need a bit more to work so it is built up in places where it needs it and they built in the stock instead of using a standard buffer tube where a lot of leverage can be applied to a small area. The Plum Crazy is a 1:1 reproduction of a standard AR lower, but in plastic. That seems iffy to me.

Reports I have seen seem to be positive as far as function, but most people are buying them for use with 22lr uppers.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby bushmeister » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:48 am

I don't see why everyone is so afraid of polymers? I'd guess most of the products that used to be made out of aluminum, are now made out of polymers, from canoes, to soda containers, to car trim. In fact, I'm so confident in their performance, I'd like to nominate DU to test these things out and report how they work with the 450 :D and if you're not willing to test it, at least share where you found it at that price. That might just be the ticket for a 22lr lower.
bushmeister

Postby thebrassnuckles » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 am

awww man totally not what I was expecting... I was hoping I could get a plum AR to match my plum AK ;)
thebrassnuckles

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:15 am

thebrassnuckles wrote:awww man totally not what I was expecting... I was hoping I could get a plum AR to match my plum AK ;)

You can get one here: http://ar15woodstocks.com/
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby bushmeister » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:12 pm

OK, I've done a little searching since my last post... First, I didn't realize that Plum Crazy was a brand. I just thought it was part of DU's South Louisiana jargon as in "Budreaux is plum crazy fo rasslin that gator". So I did a little more searching and read plenty of positive comments on the Plum Crazy lower, most from the varmint hunting crowd 204, 556, etc. I then started looking at the cavalry arms lowers, as I have to agree, a one piece stock/lower should be stronger. The first site I pulled up was this one... http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKII.html It appears they have quit making these? anyone know the story? Sorry if I'm hijacking, but it is somewhat related to the original topic.
bushmeister

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles