Finally got the gun bloody.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Finally got the gun bloody.

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:11 am

FOr me, last saturday was the start for my favorite season. Crop damage permit season.

Shot two deer, 1 @ 75 yards and 1 @ 275 yards.

The 75 yard shot was a chip shot and pretty much had the result that one would think.Dead on the shot. I used a Speer 260 grain HP reload. Shot was thru and thru with the entrance wound literally the size of a copenhagen can, centered on the shoulder. Exit wound was about an inch in diameter with multiple "shrapnel" exit wounds. Lots of damage, and not what Id consider for a hunting round where saving as much meat as possible is a consideration.

Second deer went about 50 yards, but I dont know how. Bullet placement was a little high and a behind the shoulder, but being that the deer as downhill and quartering away, I dont know what I could have done better. The factory bullet made about a 2 inch entrance wound and was beneath the skin on the offside and was picture perfect.

All in all, I am happy with the results, dead is dead. But, I im still lookin for reloads that are as accurate out of my rifle as the factory stuff. Truth be told I was using reloads for short range shots and the Ftx factory stuff for Long range, as they lend themselves very well to the BDC reticle on the nikon scope I put on my gun about a month ago.

One thing is for sure, I will have a camera next time, and I plan on trying partitions, and barnes bullets as well. Personally, I think its kind of a moot point, as I cant see how too many bullets wouldnt yield similar results.
Mike

Re: Finally got the gun bloody.

Postby wildcatter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 am

OK EVERYBODY, ITS MIKEY'S HOUSE FOR THE VENISON COOK-OUT!!! I think you are the first blood for this year's go around, that is in the Big-Game department. You've got a unique situation, crop damage permits and standing deer, yup, you need a camera, but for now, your detailed reports are golden. What did things look like on the inside, with those two bullets? You might want to try those 230gr fmj-fp's. They don't have the BC of the factory, but you'd have seen much more internal destruction and very little meat damage and they go STRAIGHT threw, so you can accurately predict where the bullets are going, so as to know you're striking the vitals, as opposed to an expanded bullet that sometimes goes in any direction after expanding. To use them at ranges past 300, you've got to know the range and be precise with adjusting the sights, and with the BC so low, wind is a major factor, but then that's what Hold-Off is all about, I find striking deer size targets at 600yds, just another exercise and with hotly, but safely, load FMJ-FP's, the killing is just a No-Brainier. To be sure, if you look at the book figures, you'll say no-way to 600yd kills, But, I say the book doesn't tell the whole story, that FP is just a out-of-the-books-Awesome, killer.

Might want to consider getting some of those FP's and setting up a measured shot at 600 +-, sighting in at that range, putting out some apples, and then going for it. Man-o-Man, will you have the Ney-Sayers upset! Hey I like this!

In the mean time, Way-to-Go Mike and More Meat Man, these are chow-hounds around these parts, wink..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby deskjockey » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:13 pm

Wild, lets go, I'll drive!

Congrats on the harvesting Mike
deskjockey

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:44 pm

I got 62gals of diesel in the D-Max, should get us 1000 miles or a hair better..............we'll we be close for that cookout????
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Al in Mi wrote:I got 62gals of diesel in the D-Max, should get us 1000 miles or a hair better..............we'll we be close for that cookout????

I'm with Al, we'll pick up deskjockey on the way and get Bushmeister to do the cooking!!! ..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to AR15 Style Rifles