Got another last night.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Got another last night.

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:48 am

Well, last night makes three deer that have fallen to the bushmaster.

Im honestly begining to think that its a little much for whitetails. Mind you its a good amount of overkill for these crop damage permits, but I dont want deer running no matter what. Meat is secondary.

Last night was threatening rain from the get go, so I left the wifes camera at home. Ive already had to replace one for her, I dont want to suffer thru that again. But I promise that I will start throwin pics up. Anyways no academic purpose would have been served by last nights results.

Only saw one deer last night, and frankly put a horrible shot on her. I was elevated, animal was facing away I put the crosshairs on her back at the base of the neck and triggered off. Deer dropped, then put her head back up. Centered crosshairs between her ears and triggered off. Distance was a guestimated 200 yards.

Upon recovering the animal I discovered that the bullet hit her in the left back leg and for all intents and purposes removed it. Head shot was right on the money and results were what you would imagine.

I dont know what went wrong with my shot placement last night. I was using reloads, but havent had any indicators in my shooting sessions that there would be anything erradic about them. Just one of those days, I guess.
Mike

Re: Got another last night.

Postby bushmeister » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Yeah, I try to avoid hitting those meaty areas, the 450 seems to chew those up pretty well. Many times you can get one of those doe bleat cans. They sound like the real thing, and they will often turn for you so you can get a better shot. Of course, I don't know about whether that works at night with a spotlight 8-)
bushmeister

Re: Got another last night.

Postby talonxracer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Yeah your shot placement is critical if you are meat gathering with the 450. I hunt in alot of thick brush and I have seen the 450 plow through the stuff like it wasnt even there and then take out an entire front quarters, LOL
talonxracer

Return to AR15 Style Rifles