450 BM Magazine Failure

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 BM Magazine Failure

Postby helidude350 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:22 am

Havent used my 450 yet.
Did notice the magazine issue.
It was scratching the brass deeply.
Attempted to work the feed lips. The stainless is thinner than the aluminum mags so it doesnt radius well.
Did contact bushmaster and they offered to send me another.
Have three mags, all the same (no blue followers).
Going to try the sig mags since i have two.
I have also emailed magpul about making mags for this application, but no reply yet.
Will keep you posted how they work out.
helidude350

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:07 pm

helidude350 wrote:Going to try the sig mags since i have two.
I have also emailed magpul about making mags for this application, but no reply yet.
Will keep you posted how they work out.

You won't regret using the Sig mags. It would be awesome if Magpul made a windowed Pmag's for our application, but I have a feeling it maybe vaporware until they realize how many of us are shooting the .450B as much as we do since we don't have the ammo shortages (knock on wood) as the other big bore AR enthusiasts.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby helidude350 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:25 pm

Had a pair of sig mags I got with a used lower. Wasn't impressed so I stuck them in the closet.
Took my 9 round follower out. It comes with the legs cut off. ( why ???)
Massaged it gently ( with a file ) to fit the sig mag.
Was able to get 11rds in, 12 seemed too tight.
May need to work the feed lips.
Will call bushy and magpul and tell them. Maybe that will get results. If not, at least we have a way that should work.
The thin stainless is the problem.
Would seem a liability in this sue happy world for bushy to continue with scoring the brass so it might burst or split.
Try them at the range soon.
I ordered a 20 rd magpul. The body is straight so I think it should be easy to take out the rib at the front.

Thank you guys for the tip. :D
helidude350

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:31 pm

Now if they would only make a straight mag for us about the length of the DPMS 40 rounders. :o
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:19 am

helidude350 wrote:Had a pair of sig mags I got with a used lower. Wasn't impressed so I stuck them in the closet.
Took my 9 round follower out. It comes with the legs cut off. ( why ???)
Massaged it gently ( with a file ) to fit the sig mag.
Was able to get 11rds in, 12 seemed too tight.
May need to work the feed lips.
Will call bushy and magpul and tell them. Maybe that will get results. If not, at least we have a way that should work.
The thin stainless is the problem.
Would seem a liability in this sue happy world for bushy to continue with scoring the brass so it might burst or split.
Try them at the range soon.
I ordered a 20 rd magpul. The body is straight so I think it should be easy to take out the rib at the front.

Thank you guys for the tip. :D

Helidude350, so are you into choppers?

Scratches: This is only a problem for the eye, as the scratches are so slight, try as I may, I can't make a cartridge burst because of them. Scratches are a way of life for the Hand-loader, heck, I even have dies that scratch the case and I bet most of you do too. So you might want to cool it on the Tort stuff, tends to make folks nervous, around these parts. Otherwise, welcome to the board..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby helidude350 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:09 am

Range today!!!
Finally got to try it out.
My red dot green dot scope battery was dead. Figures.
Used a scope from another gun, way off target.
Lets just say if you were standing next to wildcatters bear, you wouldnt feel him eat you. :lol:

On a positive note...
5rd bush mag that I had polished the feed lips.
"11rd" modified sig mag with stolen follower and spring from my 9 rd bush.
both functioned flawlessly.

Will try moding a 20rd magpul this weekend.

Thanks for the sig magazine mod! :D
helidude350

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:20 am

I have been running unmodified Sig mags for sometime now flawlessly with 11 rounds loaded. Were they not feeding right for you?
2zero6

Postby helidude350 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:45 pm

This was my first range trip with the 450.
When I was looking for extra mags at a local source, the sales man said they had none but most he had spoke with were using standard mags but the last round was having trouble because of the 223-dummy offset on the follower.
Sounds like I could have saved a few $$ ordering bush followers.
i'll try the unmodified mags next time out.
helidude350

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Yeah, you can definitely save yourself a few bucks next time and just order a two pack of the Sig 556 mags. No follower change is needed. If you end up wanting to use the included mag connector you may want to either tape them or use adhesive as the will slide apart from the recoil. The only time I had any failure to feeds were from using unmodified G.I. 30 rounders. I never did try any of the Orlite or Promag polymer mags. Any pics of the mags and mods you did?
2zero6

Postby ryr8828 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:56 am

I finally got around to shooting my .450. It's a good thing I bought some sig mags because of reading about them on this forum. The rifle wouldn't feed at all from the Bushmaster supplied magazine but worked flawlessly when using the sig magazines.
ryr8828

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles