Correct Buffer for a CAR?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Correct Buffer for a CAR?

Postby 250-3000 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:10 pm

Been lurking here since last fall and have learned alot, got my 16" upper for Christmas. What a blast, have run ~ 100 factory and 200+ reloads (240 & 300 gr XTP Mag & 250 gr FTX). Now I am putting together a dedicated lower with a CAR stock and would like to know if I should use an H or H2 Buffer. Advice please, and thanks in advance.
250-3000

Re: Correct Buffer for a CAR?

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Not being a CAR-15 owner,I don't know the difference between the H and H2 buffer, but if one weighs more than the other, get that one. Good things come from a heavier bolt or buffer. Less perceived recoil. Softer chambering of rounds. IMHO in general, less pounding of the infrastructure. They say it slows the entire cycling action, but I could not detect a difference in time. I suppose we don't do well detecting percentages of a milisecond. ;)

I'm running 4 ounces of additional weight in my bolt, which is similar to a heavier buffer and I really noticed a change in the recoil impulse when I added it. Also, I swear my groups tightened up a little. Here's a 5-shot string at 100 yards from today. 225 gr FTX 35gr Lil Gun using the resizing die as a taper crimp die. That's 2.15" OAL not 2.015

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Colohunter » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:09 pm

I have a standard carbine buffer in mine right now, but have an H buffer that I am going to put in it to try it out. I would go with the H2 if you have one available, or if you are picking which one to buy. The H2 should be a little heavier than the H. Spikes makes some heavier buffers that they market for 9mm builds and such.

Here is a link to Spikes Tactical. It is a 9mm buffer set up, but has some estimated weights for different buffer assemblies for reference:

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.p ... 5ke6405np3
Colohunter

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:31 am

DPMS CAR buffer is 5.4oz. My 10.5" pistol build will most likely end up with a 6.0oz or 7.0oz buffer listed on Spike's Tactical's page. Hope this info helps
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Return to AR15 Style Rifles