gonna make the plunge

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: gonna make the plunge

Postby oscar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 pm

one more thing, is there any advantage to having the 20 inch over the 16. Was looking at the 16" but saw the 20" midway usa
oscar

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:48 pm

oscar wrote:one more thing, is there any advantage to having the 20 inch over the 16. Was looking at the 16" but saw the 20" midway usa

I have both and my personal opinion is that the 16" is a little handier. There is only about a 75fps- 100fps loss with the shorter barrel. Faster indexing is worth the fps cost IMHO.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby bushmeister » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:34 pm

2zero6 wrote:
oscar wrote:one more thing, is there any advantage to having the 20 inch over the 16. Was looking at the 16" but saw the 20" midway usa

I have both and my personal opinion is that the 16" is a little handier. There is only about a 75fps- 100fps loss with the shorter barrel. Faster indexing is worth the fps cost IMHO.

+1 the 16" is just too comfortable. If you think you will be doing mostly long range shooting, it might be worth it.
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Not only are all my range rifles longer than 16", but all my hunting rifles. Most are 22-24". I think they handle better when aiming offhand, but that's just me. If I were a soldier, doing CQB, I'd trade long range velocity for maneuverability. Luckily, I'm not in that situation. If I had it all to do over, I'd still go with the 20". if I could have gotten a 22 or 24" I would have done so. Just before these went on sale, I had a 50 Beowulf Overwatch 24" upper on hold, ready to close the deal. The $450 saving and ability to use 200gr bullets tipped my decision to the 450b. I've said this before, but for those who don't know me, I am interested in the 450b mainly as a whitetail brush gun. Not Grizzly, Elk, Hogs, Moose (well maybe), nor hunting the African sub-continent. Chances are good that it'll never be shot outside Minnesota unless I hit the Powerball. If that happens I'll have something custom built that doesn't use a cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:08 pm

You could also split the difference and get the Remington R-15 in .450 bushmaster which has an 18" barrel.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby oldmanjeffers » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:29 pm

2zero6 wrote:You could also split the difference and get the Remington R-15 in .450 bushmaster which has an 18" barrel.

Great option to point out 2zero6, I think Remington was thinking along those same lines, Can we buy just an Upper from Rem.?

I've been looking The R-15 pretty closely, I don't NEED another 450 But sure would like to have the R-15, Plus I found an outfit that will do a 6 mo. layaway on one, I love it when they offer that! Makes expanding the gun collection so much more affordable.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:55 am

oldmanjeffers wrote:Great option to point out 2zero6, I think Remington was thinking along those same lines, Can we buy just an Upper from Rem.

I am not sure if they sell just the uppers but I do like the camo finishes. I just wish they came with threaded barrels for a brake. Wildcatter has a R-15 in .450 he may know more about the individual uppers.
2zero6

Postby JimBobTX » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 pm

I took the plunge too. I just picked up a like new .450 carbine with hornady dies and 140rds of ammo for a sweet price. I shot it a few days ago and love it. No problems with feeding, even the
magazines I added the blue carriers to work fine. Thanks for all the great info on this board and the friendly atmosphere guys. I've already got a couple buddies of mine and my brother
wanting to get a .450 too... :mrgreen:.
JimBobTX

Postby Hoot » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:20 pm

If someone is considering the Remington just for the camo, I have seen Bushmaster products with the camo finish and not at the expense of politically correct lack of muzzle threads.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Hoot wrote:If someone is considering the Remington just for the camo, I have seen Bushmaster products with the camo finish and not at the expense of politically correct lack of muzzle threads.

[ http://internetguncatalog.com/igc/pics/Large/53743.jpg ]

Hoot

I believe BM also has it in the digital camo. If they only did King's Shadow series patterns...
2zero6

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles