gonna make the plunge

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

gonna make the plunge

Postby oscar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:27 pm

new to this forum.
Recently got my first ar a DSA m4 and i absolutely love it. Even before i bought the 5.56 i was looking at the big bore uppers. Was torn between the .50 beowulf and 450 bushmaster. Just saying "Its a .50 cal" just sounds cool. What has sold me on ordering the 450 is the fact that I dont reload and it seems really hard to get the ammo. it seems that the 450 ammo is readily available. the 450 has a flash suppressor and free floated forearm too.
I called cabelas and they told me that they have the uppers and the ammo in stock and i plan to order it this week. Excited like a kid on christmas.

but hey who says i can't get the beowulf later!!!!
oscar

Re: gonna make the plunge

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:08 pm

I went through the same debate. Get the .450 for sure and if you really want to say it's a .50 cal get the SHTF .50 bmg upper with 5 round mag from safety Harbor. 50 bmg ammo is far easier to obtain than Beowulf ammo, and it has more range and power. Welcome aboard! :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby MudBug » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Be careful with the "Ammo is readily available" part.

Yes, the 450b ammo is MORE readily available, but anyone that shoots new or slightly oddball calibers knows that you need to be prepared for times when the shelves are empty. buy as much as you can when it's available and always leave a couple boxes on the shelf for hunting season. Save your brass and plan to reload.

I shoot two calibers in this catagory (450b and 6.5 Grendel) and after the initial start up I haven't gone without something to shoot in either caliber just because I bought more than I needed when it was available and I reload. There was a year when there was almost no Grendel ammo or brass to be found and I didn't even once go without.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby bushmeister » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Welcome aboard!
bushmeister

Postby Hoot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Order a recoil pad. It's hard to unlearn a flinch.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby oldmanjeffers » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Lets try this again
Last edited by oldmanjeffers on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby oldmanjeffers » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Welcome Oscar, You chose wisely my friend, This (450BM) by far has been THE most addictive, Fun, Exciting, Interesting, And did I say FUN rifle I've bought sense I got my first Ruger 1022 as a kid, Take your time checking out this awesome site, Get some re-loading gear for the BM, And share your results.

I hope to be showing some Pic's soon of what this round does to a 200+ LB feral pig!
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby BayouBob » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Oscar, You are going to love it. You will also love the gang on this board; they are the friendliest most helpful bunch you will ever correspond with. What part of the USA are you going to be ventilating critters in?
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:30 am

MudBug wrote:Be careful with the "Ammo is readily available" part.

Yes, the 450b ammo is MORE readily available, but anyone that shoots new or slightly oddball calibers knows that you need to be prepared for times when the shelves are empty. buy as much as you can when it's available and always leave a couple boxes on the shelf for hunting season. Save your brass and plan to reload.

I shoot two calibers in this catagory (450b and 6.5 Grendel) and after the initial start up I haven't gone without something to shoot in either caliber just because I bought more than I needed when it was available and I reload. There was a year when there was almost no Grendel ammo or brass to be found and I didn't even once go without.

Here's an Ammo clearing House, of sorts, Called AmmoSeek.com and they have 16 sources at this time (Only one for the beowulf and none for the socom and you'd better have your Banker nearby, when the day comes you do actually find them, better pretty much forget about brass), maybe more later or maybe less, but we've never really had any serious problems getting ammo, if you are willing to look. Don't forget you can easily resize the .458" bullets to our size, how's that for versatility? Now, our Mudder really gave you good advice and it's always valid, in all things about any ammunition, these days. But the sight I have included is a pretty decent tool, among many other great tools.

http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=&gra ... sortby=cpr

Good to have you on Board and we can't wait to read your 450 exploits..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby oscar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:30 pm

I reside in West Ky but would love to get after some more florida hogs and tenn hogs and texas hogs and really just anywhere hunting anything the 450 is welcome. Plus i raise a bunch of watermelons and pumpkins, so they too will become prey.
oscar

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles