MGI 450b barrels and bolts, I have questions.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

MGI 450b barrels and bolts, I have questions.

Postby hawcer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:54 pm

I had to back out of the Bushmaster 450 upper purchase for the time being. But I may be able to swing a barrel and bolt from MGI. I've read up on what I could here on them...but not much conclusions to what I found. So If anybody has this set up and can clue me in that would be great.

Questions:

1. What size gas block does their barrel require?
2. Are their barrels chrome lined like the bushy?
3. Looking at the picture of the barrel on their website, it looks like a really short distance from the barrel extension to the gas port...maybe an illusion?
4. Any feed ramp differences between the two?

I have an extra billet upper receiver that is not in use and a few other spare parts, so if I can go this route and save a boatload of cash...this will be my best bet .

Thanks

ps..I have sent emails to MGI with my questions with no reply yet....
hawcer

Re: MGI 450b barrels and bolts, I have questions.

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 am

Not sure on the other stuff but make sure that you either modify your existing uppers ejection port or just order the upper receiver alone from Bushy minus bolt and barrel. I believe some other upper receivers that are out of mil-spec will work like the DPMS low profile. There are a few threads on here that deal with the ejection port modification, the one that sticks out in my mind was a tutorial by the_mad_rshn http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=132&p=937#p937 hope this helps. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby hawcer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks for your reply...I was just reading about the ejection port mod and finished up watching mad's vids. That should be easy enough to do.
hawcer

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:55 am

I have used the MGI bolts, barrels and DPMS lo pro recievers to build three 450 bushmaster uppers. They are marked with bushmaster codes on the barrels, they are chrome lined and produce exceptional results. I just wish there was a longer version availible from them. Gas blocks are .750 ID, get a clamp on instead of a set screw type, as Ive seen better accuracy with that type.

BTW, MGI is a fairly small company, give them a call, they have been nothing but great to deal with.
Mike

Postby hawcer » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks Mike! That is exactly what I needed to hear. Now I'm really pumped :D
hawcer

Postby hawcer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:38 am

I bit the bullet and ordered the barrel and bolt from MGI. :D Now to score the rest of the parts I need.
hawcer

Postby Siringo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:17 am

Does anyone know if the MGI bolt will work on a bushmaster barrel extension? I would assume so. Also, does MGI sell the extractor?
Siringo

Postby hawcer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:30 am

good question! Since they only sell the barrel and bolt as separate pieces( not together as a matched set) you would assume the bolt should work with a Bushmaster barrel. But you know what assuming gets ya. ;)

As far as the extractor goes...it's not listed on their website by itself.
hawcer

Return to AR15 Style Rifles