aftermarket charging handle

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: aftermarket charging handle

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Atomicdog wrote:is the wook a full handle replacement? or just a replacement for the latch itself?

Thanks

Just a latch replacement. Not my rifle:Image
This will be the one I put on my LR308 and I am gonna get the AR-15 version for my .450 pistol build. Image
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Atomicdog » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Wow! the future latch looks like a beast! who makes that? there certainly are better ways to latch the charging handle on this old platform. not sure why the OEM builders don't just give us a better way to begin with. which brings me to my next thought...senior forum members join in...

why didn't Bushmaster use a piston setup versus gas impingement on the 450? seems the OEM .223 builders are leaning that way and the FAL and others have used it for decades without issue.

thoughts?
Atomicdog

Postby Hoot » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Atomicdog wrote:Good question Hoot. I haven't hunted with it in weather any colder than that which required long underwear under spring/fall lightweight realtree camo... The latch sticks out slightly further from the left of the upper than the forward assist does from the right...., but imho, the purchase the latch gives me far outweighs the off chance it might catch on clothing or branches, etc. I liken it to side view mirrors on a car, though they might get nicked or scratched by branches and other "immovable objects", the benefit outweighs the possible disadvantages.

Ok, I was most concerned that you might pull it slightly out of lock and not notice it until the moment you really needed it not to be. I'm sure it's no likelier than the conventional autoloader handle on the right side of a rifle snagging up. At least you can thumb the FA while your taking your aim on that trophy as insurance.

Regarding the gas piston option. If you search in the forums here, it's been addressed in conversation several times as I recall.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:24 am

The bottom picture is a Tac-ops. Found @ Brownell's http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=62395/pid=32367/sku/TacOps_1_Charging_Handle___223_5_56
As far as piston setups, I have been toying around with the idea of using an adjustable piston setup for the .450 pistol project but now that I got laid off the end of last month it will start it's life as a D.I. then maybe as funds become available I may switch over. I would really like to have it as a Alan Zitta ZM weapons type like they use on the Para TTR/lr300 so I could do away with the buffer tube and/or switch out the barrel/upper to a 16" and folding stock.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles