450 Thumper from MGI

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

450 Thumper from MGI

Postby MudBug » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:22 pm

It's seems that MGI is selling parts for what they call the 450 Thumper.

Barrel

Bolt

I wonder what specs they are using?

These 20" National Match Heavy Barrels in the .450 (Thumper) caliber give the Hydra Modular weapon system one more "BIG" head and the ability to hit as hard as ever. Nicknamed "The Thumper," the new 450 is the most radical cartridge ever chambered in production AR-15 type firearms. Hornady, who is producing this new round of ammunition, brings this big bore performance to the most popular semi-automatic rifle in America — opening a whole new world of hunting to the battle-proven platform. The engineer design team built the cartridge to wring every last ounce of performance from the AR-15 without sacrificing any strength or reliability. Well suited to hunt any North American game, the .450 Thumper will quickly become a favorite of bear country guides. By simply switching your barrel and bolt in your MGI modular weapon system, you can go from the prairie dog towns of South Dakota to bear country in the north woods! The .450 Thumper fires Hornady’s 0.452” 250 gr. SST-ML featuring Hornady’s Flex Tip™ technology. The overall cartridge matches the 223 Remington at 2.250”, but uses a specially designed magazine which works perfectly in the standard AR mag well of the Hydra. The SST’s sleek profile makes for surprisingly flat trajectories and tremendous downrange energy. Put it all together, and you have a cartridge that gives your MGI Modular Weapon system a serious attitude adjustment!
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Re: 450 Thumper from MGI

Postby jagermaster » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 pm

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 1&t=398944

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 1&t=457660

two threads that talk of the MGI parts for a build

Tim

Didnt I see you post that the 450BM was SAMMI specified
If it is SAMMI could MGI sell the parts under that name?
jagermaster

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:37 pm

I've been watching MGI for a year or so and even sent them an email if they would ever do 16" and shorter barrels but they never got back to me. One thing I really like is the interchangeable mag wells.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Couple of quick thoughts...The 450 is and always has been a SAMMI Spec Cartridge/Chamber. SAMMI is the industry regulator in the standardization arena in all things we here are interested in. A SAMMI Spec Cartridge, and/or, a Chamber Spec, is what makes for what some might call "Factory Ammo" anything else is a wildcat cartridge and thus non-factory, or again, a Wildcat. The vulnerable 50beo and the great 458s are in fact wildcats, in that, they are not SAMMI Approved.. SAMMI has nothing to do with patent rights, assuming I understood your question correctly..As for MGI, they have been around for awhile with their 450 mods. I looked up and read the previous url referrals and it looks like MGI has some dissatisfied customers, who knows, they just might make an excellent product, I have no experience with them? But the tremulous amounts of their questionable quality barrels, makes their single digit production amounts not worth the battle.. What do they say..oh yeah..something about..Imitation and Flattery?..wink
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby gunnut » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:53 pm

I do like their idea of a quick change barrel!!.... Reminds me of the M-60, Which holds a place in my heart. ;)
gunnut

Postby MudBug » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:55 pm

wildcatter wrote:Couple of quick thoughts...The 450 is and always has been a SAMMI Spec Cartridge/Chamber. SAMMI is the industry regulator in the standardization arena in all things we here are interested in. A SAMMI Spec Cartridge, and/or, a Chamber Spec, is what makes for what some might call "Factory Ammo" anything else is a wildcat cartridge and thus non-factory, or again, a Wildcat. The vulnerable 50beo and the great 458s are in fact wildcats, in that, they are not SAMMI Approved.. SAMMI has nothing to do with patent rights, assuming I understood your question correctly..As for MGI, they have been around for awhile with their 450 mods. I looked up and read the previous url referrals and it looks like MGI has some dissatisfied customers, who knows, they just might make an excellent product, I have no experience with them? But the tremulous amounts of their questionable quality barrels, makes their single digit production amounts not worth the battle.. What do they say..oh yeah..something about..Imitation and Flattery?..wink

I am curious about what specs they are using. You have mentioned a few times a few small changes that allow the use of bullets that don't work as well in the BM spec barrels.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:44 pm

gunnut wrote:I do like their idea of a quick change barrel!!.... Reminds me of the M-60, Which holds a place in my heart. ;)

Always loved the idea, mg42 QC system be still my fluttering heart!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby jagermaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:30 am

wildcatter wrote:Couple of quick thoughts...The 450 is and always has been a SAMMI Spec Cartridge/Chamber. SAMMI is the industry regulator in the standardization arena in all things we here are interested in. A SAMMI Spec Cartridge, and/or, a Chamber Spec, is what makes for what some might call "Factory Ammo" anything else is a wildcat cartridge and thus non-factory, or again, a Wildcat. The vulnerable 50beo and the great 458s are in fact wildcats, in that, they are not SAMMI Approved.. SAMMI has nothing to do with patent rights, assuming I understood your question correctly..As for MGI, they have been around for awhile with their 450 mods. I looked up and read the previous url referrals and it looks like MGI has some dissatisfied customers, who knows, they just might make an excellent product, I have no experience with them? But the tremulous amounts of their questionable quality barrels, makes their single digit production amounts not worth the battle.. What do they say..oh yeah..something about..Imitation and Flattery?..wink

How can I get the SAMMI Specs or If you have it can you post them
jagermaster

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:17 am

jagermaster wrote:How can I get the SAMMI Specs or If you have it can you post them

It isn't listed in the SAAMI spec sheet I have.
2zero6

Return to AR15 Style Rifles