16" or 20"

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 16" or 20"

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 am

Jeepejeep wrote:I went with the 16" mostly because that's what I could find! Cabelas had them at a good price. This is my first year hunting with it and I love the ease I can maneuver it in my box blind. I should have built the blond a little bigger but the carbine length is great.

:o You build Blondes? :o
Ship me a female about a 24 years old, with a business college degree with a blood-line from Sweden would ya?
A model somewhere along the lines of a young Meg Ryan would be fine. :mrgreen:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Jeepejeep wrote:I went with the 16" mostly because that's what I could find! Cabelas had them at a good price. This is my first year hunting with it and I love the ease I can maneuver it in my box blind. I should have built the blond a little bigger but the carbine length is great.

:o You build Blondes? :o
Ship me a female about a 24 years old, with a business college degree with a blood-line from Sweden would ya?
A model somewhere along the lines of a young Meg Ryan would be fine. :mrgreen:

BWAHAHAHA!!!! Not for you!! All mine, mine, mine!!!! (please don't tell my brunette, Italian wife!!!).
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Cummins man » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:23 pm

bushmeister wrote:I would say that most hunters prefer the 16", while most shooters prefer the 20", I know there are a few outside of this, but in general, the 16 is much easier to swing and carry, while the 20 has more fps.

With this in mind, would an 18 in. barrel be a happy medium? I'm about to do a "from scratch" buid and the barrel length is pretty much the only thing I haven't decided on.
Cummins man

Postby Jimbo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:51 pm

I bought the 16" mainly because Cabelas has only this one on sale. From all I've read there isn't much ballistic wise that your missing. I also love the carbine length I've been carrying in the field this season. Very handy.
I put an Ultimate Sling on it and can carry it front ready like single point sling or can carry as shoulder sling, and the 16" carbine size is great.
A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both.
Jimbo

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Cummins man: You might call Remington to see if they'll sell you one of their factory 18" barrels. Good luck! ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Adrian8 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:33 pm

I got the 20''..one reason was I thought it would get the muzzle blast out a little farther in a hunting situation and gain about 100fps.. . My brother had a.458 SOCOM (sold it for a .450) that had a 16" barrel..sucker was bad loud. The SOCOM has a very heavy barrel, I think it is heavier than a 20" .450. The 20" is very handy to me, either is better than a shotgun...Hunted with the .450 In Ky this year..killed a coyote...no deer.. had 3 does but they were too close at 12 yds,did not have the heart to blast one at the range. I wanted one to stand at about 60yds for a good ballistic test but didn't have any to offer their services
Adrian8

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles