Accuracy question...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Accuracy question...

Postby MrRowdy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 am

I shot a .5 MOA round group at 100 yards with mine. It's as accurate as any produtcion rifle I've owned, and generally AR's aren't the most accurate rifle in the world.
MrRowdy

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 am

MrRowdy wrote:I shot a .5 MOA round group at 100 yards with mine. It's as accurate as any produtcion rifle I've owned, and generally AR's aren't the most accurate rifle in the world.

With all due respect, but don't tell that to the High Power Shooters. The Camp Perry 1000yds matches are won by about 80% of the shooters using the AR and this against 308's and 30-06's too. It's just that when you get to 1000yds with a 223, there isn't anything left, to decide any issue, other than paper targets, hence the 450b..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 am

Hoot wrote:
tridentarmory wrote:...snip... have you found a happy rpm rate for the .451 projectile...snip

I'd guess around 75-80K RPM for the 250gr FTX.

Hoot

MV(in fps) x (12/twist rate in inches) x 60 = Bullet rpm

assuming our, most excellently accurate factory loading, at 2200fps, with a 24t barrel, when you plug those numbers in, you get 66,000 RPM's. Using my formula, that by the way is used by many ballistics calculators, and say a 50BMG necked down to .4515 and the same 250gr FTX, you'd get an estimated QL velocity of 3500 fps. Now, assuming you want our bullet to react with the same accuracy potential, you'd want a twist that delivers about 66,000 RPM's. Under this crude understanding you'd need about a 38t barrel, to achieve the accuracy goals, of course this only puts us in the ballpark, for conversational purposes..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MrRowdy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 am

wildcatter wrote:
MrRowdy wrote:I shot a .5 MOA round group at 100 yards with mine. It's as accurate as any produtcion rifle I've owned, and generally AR's aren't the most accurate rifle in the world.

With all due respect, but don't tell that to the High Power Shooters. The Camp Perry 1000yds matches are won by about 80% of the shooters using the AR and this against 308's and 30-06's too. It's just that when you get to 1000yds with a 223, there isn't anything left, to decide any issue, other than paper targets, hence the 450b..

..t

I don't have much experience with High Power Shooting competition but I can respect the fact there are plenty of purpose built accurate long range AR's. I suppose I am somewhat biased because when it comes to accurate consistent shot placement I always think of my heavy barrel .308 bolt gun and it's going to take a bit to get over it. But truly, both my Bushmasters are finely accurate rifles.
MrRowdy

Postby tridentarmory » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 am

Ahh, i love it....

strictly for conversational purposes, as you put it....

but ive been a rpm junky for a long period of time now as well. Ive been published in a local sporting journal with suggestions to as such, but i still cant get people around here to jump on board. People dont understand the concept.
Oh well....
you can contact me directly through the business phone number, it rings my cell at the same time. I firmly believe that as a customer, people want to speak with someone who can make decisions when they call, so until i can no longer maintain the call volume myself, im doing that job as well....

207-942-5250 any of y'all can call anytime regarding prettymuch anything... i may have to call u back tho if im staring someone in the eye... They are and will always be the most important customer in the world.(the one in front of you)
i wear many hats around here.. ;)
tridentarmory

Postby wildcatter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:58 pm

tridentarmory wrote:Ahh, i love it....

strictly for conversational purposes, as you put it....

but ive been a rpm junky for a long period of time now as well. Ive been published in a local sporting journal with suggestions to as such, but i still cant get people around here to jump on board. People dont understand the concept.
Oh well....
you can contact me directly through the business phone number, it rings my cell at the same time. I firmly believe that as a customer, people want to speak with someone who can make decisions when they call, so until i can no longer maintain the call volume myself, im doing that job as well....

207-942-5250 any of y'all can call anytime regarding prettymuch anything... i may have to call u back tho if im staring someone in the eye... They are and will always be the most important customer in the world.(the one in front of you)
i wear many hats around here..
;)

OK! I think I may have found the identity of Ghost Dog's Baby Picture (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10986&start=0)
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles