My 450 build

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

My 450 build

Postby hawcer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:50 am

Hey guys,
I received the last of the parts I was waiting on yesterday and put the beast together last night. I have a couple questions...

I didn't enlarge the ejection port...I have rattle room for a cartridge and it ejects ok (hand cycled) without hitting on the edges of the port. Do you think this will fly or should I enlarge the port anyway?

Do these use crush washers for the muzzle attachments...there really isn't that much shoulder and the flash hider Mike converted to work on the 450 timed out very well when just tightened down by hand...so I just used loc-tite and hand tightened only. I guess if it looses up...I'll have to go another route, but I don't think it will.

I made a Vid of the build process but it didn't turn out well. Poor lighting, shadows , and the work being performed isn't center view. I still may edit it down to something that maybe tolerable to watch. I'll post some pics when I get around to digging the camera out.

I can't wait to get her to the range. :D

EDIT: Oh bugger...I still need a 450 magazine or at least find a singleshot follower to use in the meantime :cry:
Did I read on here somewhere about getting away with using a certain type of 223 follower? I have a couple AR mags that have anti-tilt followers in them and the 450's load into the mag ok...the last one has to "scoot" to the middle when it hits the mag lips...but I don't want to try it if it won't work.

I can see the 450 bolt coming in handy for a wildcat round that uses a 30-06 sized bolt face and falls under the "223" length. Maybe some in the BR line.
hawcer

Re: My 450 build

Postby frodobaggins » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:56 am

You just might have trouble on the last round to feed. The ones on top should be fine most likely, so for testing I say go for it.
frodobaggins

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:04 am

I personally would not have loctited that flash hider on. You might want to put a brake on down the road. Now you have a fight on your hands. I actually put anti-seize on mine and hand tightened it. Still there after 700+ rounds.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby hawcer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 am

Hoot wrote:I personally would not have loctited that flash hider on. You might want to put a brake on down the road. Now you have a fight on your hands. I actually put anti-seize on mine and hand tightened it. Still there after 700+ rounds.

Hoot

:shock: I'll see if I can get it off when I get home...if not, oh well...that's what they invented torches for. ;)
hawcer

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:31 pm

hawcer wrote:EDIT: Oh bugger...I still need a 450 magazine or at least find a singleshot follower to use in the meantime :cry:
Did I read on here somewhere about getting away with using a certain type of 223 follower? I have a couple AR mags that have anti-tilt followers in them and the 450's load into the mag ok...the last one has to "scoot" to the middle when it hits the mag lips...but I don't want to try it if it won't work.

Just get sig mags that are for the 556. The polymer ones that connect to each other. You wont regret it. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby hawcer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:40 pm

2zero6 wrote:
hawcer wrote:EDIT: Oh bugger...I still need a 450 magazine or at least find a singleshot follower to use in the meantime :cry:

Just get sig mags that are for the 556. The polymer ones that connect to each other. You wont regret it. :D

Will I still need to swap out the followers for the ones designed for the 450?
hawcer

Postby hawcer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

hawcer

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Well, what do ya know????

That barrel never looked that good in my shop!!!!

That flash hider was machined to lock up real tight. But, depending on what color lockite you should be okay.

as far as your ejection port, you'll be fine. about the only thing that is a downside is sometimes all the brass doesnt land in the same spot. If it troubles you, send it to me, and Ill mill it out for you.

Ive got a single stack follower, but Ive had great luck with grinding the factory follower flat. tke you time if your into looks, function wise, its hard to mess up.
Mike

Postby bushmeister » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:35 pm

sig 556 mags work fine with no modifications.
bushmeister

Postby hawcer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:25 am

It didn't turn out to well...but here it is anyway. I made a short vid on the assembly of my 450.

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_jtUiH5_VE#

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzv-5K2Vo8#

@Hoot You were right....I now have a semi-permanent flash hider attached to my barrel,lol. No biggie...I can still get it off if I ever decide to put a brake on it. I failed to loc-tite the brake on my HK 308 and it continuously came loose on me...until I applied loc-tite to it. I thought I would have the same problem with the 450....maybe I should have asked first.
hawcer

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles