New Member Need help with project

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New Member Need help with project

Postby tbd1966 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:41 am

I have stumbled onto a free 450 bushmaster barrel. The crown of the barrel is damaged (someone fired a round through it when the bore sighter was still in place). So I thought of having ADCO cut down the barrel to roughly 11" (just forward of the gas block) and then see if Noveske or PWS will make one of the KX flash suppressors to build appropriate back pressure to keep it cycling.

This sounds like a neat project but can someone give me the ins and outs of what this might do to round performance. Understandably, the round will move slower because of the shorter barrel, I'm just wondering if this is even worth it.

The cost of doing this is literally around $300. I just figured it was worth it to have something unique.

Thanks in advance for the input
tbd1966

Re: New Member Need help with project

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:48 am

tbd1966 wrote:I have stumbled onto a free 450 bushmaster barrel. The crown of the barrel is damaged (someone fired a round through it when the bore sighter was still in place). So I thought of having ADCO cut down the barrel to roughly 11" (just forward of the gas block) and then see if Noveske or PWS will make one of the KX flash suppressors to build appropriate back pressure to keep it cycling.

This sounds like a neat project but can someone give me the ins and outs of what this might do to round performance. Understandably, the round will move slower because of the shorter barrel, I'm just wondering if this is even worth it.

The cost of doing this is literally around $300. I just figured it was worth it to have something unique.

Thanks in advance for the input

Ops... What length is the barrel now and is there any other barrel damage in the bore? You might be able to get a new barrel from bushy for about as much money as you are describing for a rebuild.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby tbd1966 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:35 am

The gun was not origionally mine. It was already sent back to Bushy and the damaged barrel is fine with exception of the flute on the crown of the barrel. The origional owner made the decsion to have a new barrel installed by Bushmaster and I have the old barrel. Thats why I am considering cutting it down, to eliminate the damaged portion of the barrel. I don't mind stamping a lower for this purpose. The barrel length is 16" now.
tbd1966

Postby wildcatter » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:48 pm

tbd1966 wrote:The gun was not origionally mine. It was already sent back to Bushy and the damaged barrel is fine with exception of the flute on the crown of the barrel. The origional owner made the decsion to have a new barrel installed by Bushmaster and I have the old barrel. Thats why I am considering cutting it down, to eliminate the damaged portion of the barrel. I don't mind stamping a lower for this purpose. The barrel length is 16" now.

By flute, do you mean the Muzzle Brake thread, how bad is it? Can you still screw on the Brake or is the barrel split at the thread?
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby tbd1966 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:49 pm

The barrel is not spilt. It is intact but is slightly enlarged on the thread portion of the barrel. You cannot get a flash suppressor on it. Thats why I'm cutting it down. Bushmaster has already signed off on it being a safe barrel to shoot from. It shot great groups before we sent it back.
tbd1966

Postby wildcatter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:46 pm

tbd1966 wrote:The barrel is not spilt. It is intact but is slightly enlarged on the thread portion of the barrel. You cannot get a flash suppressor on it. Thats why I'm cutting it down. Bushmaster has already signed off on it being a safe barrel to shoot from. It shot great groups before we sent it back.

I understand all the things you want to do to barrel, might just be a "Because", kind of thing. I was wondering, from a cost perspective, why not just re-thread the muzzle. If the threads aren't just totally wacked out, re-threading and then crowning the muzzle, putting the IZZY back on and bingo, you're in business on the cheap. The fact that the bullet will either, just slightly engage the rifling at the end of the muzzle or not at all, shouldn't matter one twit and you said it shoots well now. So, is saving some money in the cards or do you want to do something else? BTW, as you already now, going under a 16" barrel requires a Fed Tax Stamp and $200 bucks, last I knew..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Return to AR15 Style Rifles