Word on the street is Savage is coming out with a 450 BM

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Word on the street is Savage is coming out with a 450 BM

Postby plant_one » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:26 am

engineer40 wrote:
plant_one wrote:i cant say i've heard it, but it makes sense.

there were a few guys here buying the savage 12fv's .308's last summer and screwing 450bm barrels on them. the saginaw cabela's said they had a guy coming in every few weeks and getting another to build when they were on sale. with that newerish barrel nut system they use, from what i understand a barrel swap is almost as simple as doing an AR. New barrel & a Set of headspace gauges and your 308 is now a 450.

Seems like a no brainer, especially for the markets where the 450 bm fits into that "pistol caliber carbine" hunting niche :)

If I was going through the trouble of acquiring a 308 donor action, I'd probably just get the barrel chambered for 45 Raptor. I actually still think about doing this sometimes as I already have the Savage barrel wrench. So far I keep talking myself out of the project because it would be so redundant with big bore rifles I already own. But it is interesting to think about for us Michiganders to use in the Limited areas.

ya.. the 45 raptor is interesting, however - you cant walk into cabela's, jays, gander, walsh, or any number of spots that carry 450 bm ammo and buy 45 raptor off the shelf - or even find it online via ammoseek, etc. so for a lot of folks, it takes it right off the table. not everyone is a wildcat fan, or a capable reloader.

the 450 bm is SAAMI, available in a factory round(s) that shoots well in most guns, has more than enough UMPH to anchor basically anything in north america - within typical hunting distances.
and like i said, from what i was told by a couple stores, the folks converting those savage 12fv's could barely make them fast enough to keep up with demand.
plant_one

Postby tpcollins » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:12 pm

I bought a Savage Model 12 450BM yesterday that was built by Fox Firearms in Burton, MI. I liked it much better than the Ruger.
tpcollins

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:49 am

tpcollins wrote:I bought a Savage Model 12 450BM yesterday that was built by Fox Firearms in Burton, MI. I liked it much better than the Ruger.

drop or internal mag?
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:25 am

Hoot loves the Savage Model 12!
I have two in varminter style, thumbhole, laminate stocks. Very nice! I have 5 different caliber, rifle length (24-26") barrels for them, given how easy they are to swap. None of which is the 450b however. I already have two AR class uppers in that caliber. If a 1:24 twist, 24-26 inch, threaded muzzle, Model 12 barrel was offered at a non-custom price, I might be tempted to get one, but probably not, unless I fell into some excess cash. Is that an oxymoron? ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby tpcollins » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Al in Mi wrote:
tpcollins wrote:I bought a Savage Model 12 450BM yesterday that was built by Fox Firearms in Burton, MI. I liked it much better than the Ruger.

drop or internal mag?

I guess it's what you'd call an internal mag. It only holds 2 round I think plus 1 in the chamber. He makes a Model 10 with a removable clip but that one still only holds 2 rounds. It's basically the same feel but I couldn't see having that for an extra $170. It's a bit heavier than the Ruger American at about 6# 14ozs. I ordered a DNZ mount and have a 3-9x40 VX-2 CDS waiting.
tpcollins

Postby Cutright » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 pm

I too bought one of his guns with the internal mag and a Boyd thumb hole and it is a shooter He promises 1" or better with factory and is very reasonable. You can find his guns on Gun Broker too
Cutright

Postby tpcollins » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:48 am

I just bought a Savage Model 12 that a guy in Burton, MI I thinks puts a 450BM barrel on a .308 action. Mine has a 21" barrel and I'm hoping to get to the range with it next week.

(I tried posting a pic but it's not working).
tpcollins

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles