Another Bolt Rifle under Construction

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Another Bolt Rifle under Construction

Postby wildcatter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:19 am

dogsniper wrote:wildcatter...

Yes, All three are 450B. Short version of the story....I wanted to build one for deer hunting....I hunt with my dad and cousin, and when I started telling them about all the information I had gathered (most of it from everyone here)...they wanted in. So, after we all purchased a "spare" Savage 110 action, we ordered three barrels from McGowen, and Dave Manson supplied the reamer/gauges.

Don't they just look so dang purdy! :D

They shore do!!

I know Godzilla is Quaking, tonight..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby dogsniper » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:19 pm

The only thing I MAYBE would do differently, is a slightly smaller contour on the barrels. These rifles are a touch heavy. Not so much that I would say they are too heavy to carry to a treestand like we do here in Indiana. I haven't actually used a scale to see how much they weigh...but I compared them to my Knight Disc Rifle (.50 cal)...and they are slightly heavier than that. Of course...that might be a good thing when it comes to time at the bench....especially if I start working loads up seeing how fast we can (SAFELY) go with these rifles. I just can't wait for the weekend so I can go thru the break-in proceedure and get some serious shooting time in.
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby Hoot » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:43 pm

So, no doubt by now, you've fired all of them. I know that would be high up my list having spent what you did. Anyway, I was wondering what you felt the recoil component was like compared to your AR 450b, assuming you have one. It would be interesting to cycle all three immediately following a round through the AR version to compare. If nothing else do report on how they compare to one another.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BillytheKid » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:13 pm

We may be reduce to having nothing but bolt action rifles if California keeps making anti gun laws...
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby pitted bore » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:05 pm

dogsniper wrote: ... These rifles are a touch heavy. ... Of course...that might be a good thing when it comes to time at the bench....especially if I start working loads up seeing how fast we can (SAFELY) go with these rifles. ...

dogsniper-
Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress, and it's nice to see your plans come together. I'm also happy that my two are no longer the only bolt 450Bs in the known universe.

The extra weight will be appreciated from the bench.

I'm really looking forward to reading your reports on the accuracy and velocity you may obtain.

Just for fun and practice I resized your photos to see if they would fit on a forum page. The results are below. They look OK in my browser. If they are not showing up properly in somebody else's browser, please send me a PM
Thanks.

--Bob
2hq8mxtA.jpg
dogsniper photo #1
2hq8mxtA.jpg (100.55 KiB) Viewed 12931 times

'
jh7cqdA.jpg
dogsniper photo #2
jh7cqdA.jpg (109.94 KiB) Viewed 12931 times
pitted bore

Postby dogsniper » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:08 am

Fired them all yesterday (Sunday). Just trying to do the recommended barrel break-in. Clean after every shot for first 10 shots. Had them all shooting bullseyes withing first five shots. I will include my target for the last 5 shots. we were only shooting from 50yards, as that is what we can at my dads range. My target shows what appears to be one hole to the left, but is actually two shots, then I adjusted the scope and fired three more (still cleaning between each shot). Accuracy in my opinion was VERY GOOD for brand new barrels, and being cleaned between every shot!

My load was 37.0 gn of Lil Gun, 250gn Hornady FTX, length is 2.260" Chambering and extraction was flawless. Velocity through my chrony measured 2314fps. My cousins load was with H110 (hornady's max listed on their load data...not sure what charge that is) His velocity was 2279fps. His accuracy was also very good. It does appear the 24" barrels are adding a noticable velocity difference compared to the listed data for a 16" barrel.

To Answer Pitted Bore....I do not own an AR 450B, so I cannot compare recoil. I do know that fully scoped my rifle weighs in at 9.8lbs. Recoil from my sand bags was noticable, but NOT uncomfortable. More than my Muzzleloader, but less than my 30-06.

My picture of my target is added. And I only have one more thing to say....When is Hunting season???? hahaha

It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles