Another Bolt Rifle under Construction

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Another Bolt Rifle under Construction

Postby Hoot » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:39 pm

There is another way.
I use an oak block lined bench vise on the barrel and nut wrench instead of an action wrench and nut wrench. With a properly milled (flat) recoil lug and antiseize, you only need a firm grip on the action to keep it registered while tightening the nut as it travels down the threaded barrel to the lug.
For me, it was easier to make a set of oak barrel blocks using a Silver and Deming drill bit and a press, but it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. I do dust the oak block halves with rosin for a good grip on the barrel. Now with a Remington 700, an action wrench is a must due to the tightness of the barrel to receiver threads. With the Savages, you can spin the barrel into the receiver by hand if the threads are clean and lubed.

I see you fletch your own arrows. When I was heavy into Tournament Archery back in the 70s, a good shot went through a lot of nocks and fletches. I did my own also. I Even had a hot wire feather cutter. That was back in the days before the compound bow, to give you an idea of when long ago that was. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby bigboreshooter » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:47 pm

dogsniper wrote:Can someone give me a hint on what to do so the pictures show up the actual size???

I saw the post, you can't really see what I was taking the pictures of.

Adobe photoshop is easiest way for me to resize pics
Three is two, two is one and one is none.
bigboreshooter

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:44 pm

bigboreshooter wrote:
dogsniper wrote:Can someone give me a hint on what to do so the pictures show up the actual size???

I saw the post, you can't really see what I was taking the pictures of.

Adobe photoshop is easiest way for me to resize pics

I just use Microsoft Office Picture Manager for cropping and resizing. It's very straightforward. Some editing programs seem more akin to professional use. Layers scramble my mind. I try to keep my forum images to 640x480, or 480x640 and I upload them though Tiny Pic We used to have a hook to it at the bottom of the post and reply templates here. That's what got me started using it. Easy as pie to use. Not sure why Eric left it out when he re-did the forum.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Hoot wrote:...snip... I upload them though Tiny Pic We used to have a hook to it at the bottom of the post and reply templates here. That's what got me started using it. Easy as pie to use. Not sure why Eric left it out when he re-did the forum.

Hoot

I PM'd Eric about the Tiny Pic tab in the template. He said he enabled it and is not sure why it is not appearing. He vowed to look into it. It's a convenient conduit for images. You can also add the Tiny Pic link to your favorites/bookmarks for fast acquisition. That's what I'm doing until the tab get restored to the post and reply templates.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby dogsniper » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:53 pm

They are Complete!! Put all three together Sunday... have not test fired yet...going to do that this coming weekend. I am going to upload pictures. Mine has the Stainless barrel, factory stock, stripped and stained charcoal, Limbsaver pad, Talley Manufacturing one piece mounts/rings, and a Silver Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40. My Dads is the lefty with Weaver mounts and a Nikon Prostaff (Gloss finish action and barrel), my cousins has a Boyds Laminated Thumbhole Stock, Matte Finish. He did not have his scope with him when we were assembling them Sunday. We went with a 24" barrel, Savage Varmint Contour, 11 degree muzzle, 1 in 24 twist. Upon assembly, I tried chambering rounds to see if there was any difficulty, and it was like the rifle was made for the round. NO difficulty chambering at all....smooth as silk!

Hope you all like the pictures!

It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby Hoot » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Nice!

I love the ergonomics of thumbholers. Own three of them myself. Actually five if you count the .22 and .17 HMR.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:16 pm

dogsniper,

Are all of those chambered for the 450b??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 pm

WC...did you ever get delivery on that Mossberg MVP?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:34 pm

commander faschisto wrote:WC...did you ever get delivery on that Mossberg MVP?

Nope..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby dogsniper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 am

wildcatter...

Yes, All three are 450B. Short version of the story....I wanted to build one for deer hunting....I hunt with my dad and cousin, and when I started telling them about all the information I had gathered (most of it from everyone here)...they wanted in. So, after we all purchased a "spare" Savage 110 action, we ordered three barrels from McGowen, and Dave Manson supplied the reamer/gauges.

Don't they just look so dang purdy! :D
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles