Another Bolt Rifle under Construction

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Another Bolt Rifle under Construction

Postby dogsniper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks for the knowledge! I really like that you mentioned my dear friend Anti-seeze....That stuff is a mechanics best friend (if you like saving your knuckles and don't like breaking bolts or sockets)...

Also, I wasn't aware that the barrel nut wrench had a spot for a torque wrench, as I haven't purchased that yet. That should make life very easy. It sounds like I need to purchase the barrel nut wrench, and make some blocks for a barrel vise...that'll save me a few buck over paying to have the barrrels swapped.

Thanks again!
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby Hoot » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:08 am

dogsniper wrote:Thanks for the knowledge! I really like that you mentioned my dear friend Anti-seeze....That stuff is a mechanics best friend (if you like saving your knuckles and don't like breaking bolts or sockets)...

Also, I wasn't aware that the barrel nut wrench had a spot for a torque wrench, as I haven't purchased that yet. That should make life very easy. It sounds like I need to purchase the barrel nut wrench, and make some blocks for a barrel vise...that'll save me a few buck over paying to have the barrrels swapped.

Thanks again!

One caveat WRT the nut wrench. There are several different Savage nuts out there. Make sure you get the one appropriate for yours.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dogsniper » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:28 am

Good to know Hoot. Again, I appreciate the information. I know asking about switching barrels on a bolt action got off topic a little from what this website is about...but I do appreciate the good advice!
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby dogsniper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:47 am

Just a quick update on my project build. McGowen sent a confirmation email yesterday...my barrels have been shipped and should arrive this Friday. I ordered my Wheeler Barrel Nut Wrench from Midway USA, and it should be here tomorrow. I have done some research and designed my own Action vise....going to build it tonight. So....if all goes well, I should have at least my rifle completed this weekend!!! Will take pictures and try to post them on here next week.
dogsniper

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 pm

When you're all set to remove the factory nut. If all the civilized pulling on the wrench doesn't seem to work, try warming it with a torch. Not beyond "spit sizzle"and repeat. If that doesn't work, load the wrench with enough force to lock it in place on the nut and smack it with a hammer. A friends Model 10 that I worked on would not budge. Someone made the hammer suggestion and I gave it a try. It was like running through an unlatched door. The nut and wrench spun like it was already loose. Afterward, when lubed with anti-seize and torqued to spec, it would re-loosen using just civilized pulling from then on. Go figure...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby dogsniper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:33 am

Thanks Hoot, I actually took the barrel off my action last night, just to see if the action vise I designed and made would hold the action tight enough. I didn't think it was going to at first....but after a few times of retightnening the action clamp/vise, with my 24" breaker bar attached to the action nut wrench, I "popped" the end of the breaker bar one good hard time with the palm of my hand, and the entire barrel and nut spun loose.

When I take the pictures, I will try to get a good one of the action vise I made, in case anyone else needs to make one in the future.

Also...just a not to anyone reading this...I have a good 30-06 barrel (with the factory iron sights) to get rid of. I honestly don't know what this should sell for...any offers??
dogsniper

Postby dogsniper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Okay, so a little snag in my weekend plans of getting my rifles completed. My barrels did arrive as expected from McGowen on Friday....only they forgot to return my "Go Gauge" that they asked me to send to them for chambering the barrels....so, luckily I discovered that before they closed, and after a phone call...they apologized and told me they would have to ship them Monday as UPS/Fed Ex had already picked up for the day. Talk about taking the wind outta my sails...however, I did go ahead and thread my barrel into the action just to see how it will look. I am going to try to upload some of the pictures so you all can see it. The barrels are:

24" long
Savage Varmint contour
11degree crown

The finish on the barrels is excellent...so I have no complaints about that...just a bummer that I have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday for my gauges to arrive...

If this works, here are the pics...Okay, it just told me the file was too big...going to try to save as a different format...
dogsniper

Postby dogsniper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:35 pm

I think I figured it out now...

dogsniper

Postby dogsniper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Can someone give me a hint on what to do so the pictures show up the actual size???

I saw the post, you can't really see what I was taking the pictures of.
dogsniper

Postby Wicked Hunter » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:30 pm

your browser magnifacation is probably set too high. Hold control and hit the plus+ or minus- button to change the size they appear.
Wicked Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles