Savage 450 Bushmaster Sighted

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Savage 450 Bushmaster Sighted

Postby Hoot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:21 am

In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Savage 450 Bushmaster Sighted

Postby dogsniper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 am

Wow...I think I know of someone that just built 3 of those...with a lot of research and discussion right on this site...I gathered the info required to make it happen... My pictures are posted on this site as well. Doesn't really look like anything different than what I did...I just don't have the accutrigger version. I didn't really look at what they were selling them for....makes me wonder
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby dogsniper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:30 am

His price isn't bad...$685....Wonder what barrel manufacturer....maybe he's making his own...

I figured it would only be a matter of time, after it became legal here in Indiana (and the 2012 hunting regulations actually call out the 450Bushmaster as a legal cartridge) that more and more people would realize the ability to make a bolt gun in this caliber. Guess my three won't be the only bolt versions in the Indiana Woods this year!
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby commander faschisto » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Yeah, but yours will win the "beauty contest" hands down... ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby dogsniper » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks...I appreciate that!

Also...I think I figured how he is keeping his price low....16 1/2" barrels....anyone else think he is getting barrel blanks and cutting them in half to get two barrels out of 'em???

I know I probably went a little long with the 24" barrels on mine...but they look good, and man do they shoot awesome...a couple hundred feet of velocity gain also....and that being accomplished with a load that is 0.9 grains less than what Hornady claims is max....I could probably "juice" it...but the accuracy is so good...I figure why mess with a good thing?
dogsniper

Postby fireball168 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:19 pm

The advertisement quoted above are for rifles built as follows: Savage Hog Hunter donor rifle, McGowen .452 groove, 1/18 twist, stainless steel, finished at 16.5". Chambered with PTG 450 Bushmaster tooling.

I've had very good results with 18 twist barrels on the shortened up 460 S&W case, carried it over on to the 450 and have been very satisfied.

16.5" has been the best seller in the 458 SOCOM-BFG/M&S bolt rifle barrels and it appears it will be for the 450 Bushmaster-BFG/M&S as well.

M&S Armament can supply complete rifles and ammunition.

BFG Design LLC can supply barrels, brass and dies for DIY customers.

Bryan
fireball168

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Optional .50 cal. suppressor?? :P
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby kottke_35 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 pm

fireball168 wrote:The advertisement quoted above are for rifles built as follows: Savage Hog Hunter donor rifle, McGowen .452 groove, 1/18 twist, stainless steel, finished at 16.5". Chambered with PTG 450 Bushmaster tooling.

I've had very good results with 18 twist barrels on the shortened up 460 S&W case, carried it over on to the 450 and have been very satisfied.

16.5" has been the best seller in the 458 SOCOM-BFG/M&S bolt rifle barrels and it appears it will be for the 450 Bushmaster-BFG/M&S as well.

M&S Armament can supply complete rifles and ammunition.

BFG Design LLC can supply barrels, brass and dies for DIY customers.

Bryan

Welcome! Pull up a stump and have some smores!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby dogsniper » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Oh, my mistake...I should have read the entire advertisement. So the price is with the customer supplying the rifle...I get it now...seems more like it.

I also used McGowen barrels on mine....I do not have experience with all the other barrel manufacturers, so I cannot compare "apples to apples", but I will say that personally I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the barrels they supplied me with. Finish is awesome and they are very accurate!
dogsniper

Postby fireball168 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:46 am

dogsniper wrote:Oh, my mistake...I should have read the entire advertisement. So the price is with the customer supplying the rifle...I get it now...seems more like it.

Go back and read it again. $685 for a Savage Hog Hunter, with AccuTrigger, in 450 Bushmaster. Buy a scope mount, mount your optics and go shooting.

If one wants to buy a barrel for their donor rifle, or have M&S install the barrel on their suitable donor, the price is significantly reduced from the complete rifle.
fireball168

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles