91 Argie project - first pics

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

91 Argie project - first pics

Postby wvcruffler » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Please see them at the end of the photos thread. Will try to get some groups printed first of next week.

Dr.Phil
wvcruffler

Re: 91 Argie project - first pics

Postby pitted bore » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:00 pm

Dr Phil-
Thanks for posting the photos of your project. We're all looking forward to your report on how it shoots.

A question: How did your smith adapt the barrel to the action. The problem was briefly outlined in one of the older threads: Budding bolt rifle project.

You have indicated that your smith used something like a Savage barrel nut to solve the problems. I don't see any evidence of such a nut in your photos. Could you explain how it works?

From appearances in your photos, I'd guess that he turned off some of the barrel for a short length at the breech end and then installed a sleeve of a suitable diameter somewhat larger than the barrel diameter. Then it would be a simple matter to thread the sleeve to fit the action. However, appearances can be really deceiving.

Thanks for any information.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wvcruffler » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 am

He was initially concerned the threaded end would be too narrow to face the receiver ring but as it turned out once he threaded it he felt there was enough meat there and it worked out OK.
Shooting next week at the range so will let you know.
Phil
wvcruffler

Postby pitted bore » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Phil-
Thanks for the clarification, and we're all looking forward to finding out how it shoots.
--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Bolt Action Rifles