New guy saying hello

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

New guy saying hello

Postby gramps » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:05 am

Delete
Last edited by gramps on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gramps

Re: New guy saying hello

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:19 pm

Welcome to the electronic campfire, Gramps! And watch your six, WildCatter up there, is right in your AO and he will sneak off with your plate of hotdogs and Smores! I've been to south central MI. I was up there in 1995 hanging out with Uncle Ted at his July Bash at the state fair grounds in Jackson! The people up there we so very nice to me. I was pleasantly surprised. Being a Born & Bred southern boy, I expected to be snubbed, but the people of Jackson were awesome. Lower down in Indiana, it was a different story. It was the only time I ever went further north than Upland, Indiana and I've only been there twice. I have an uncle who was a professor at Upland University. (yep, he's a big liberal, but we manage to have lovely discussions.....). He let me stop in for the night as a pit stop on the way up from Cordova, TN where I lived at the time.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Welcome to the asylum, gramps! You'll find a sub-forum with info on bolt-gun 450b experiments and builds. Not sure if anyone's tried a 98...don't think so. Anyway, if you try it out, let us all know and post pics, of course.

You'll find this is a polite and civil crowd here, so don't be afraid to ask or say whatever you need to.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby B swift » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Welcome aboard! I look forward to reading more about your shop and projects. A .450 in 98 mauser sounds like fun! :)
"A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand".
~Lucius Annaeus Seneca
B swift

Postby pitted bore » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:07 am

gramps wrote:I need to toss in a question here. Has anyone built a 450 Bushmaster on a 98 Mauser style action?

gramps-
I did a 450B on a 1903 Springfield action. I think the story is on the old 2009 calguns forum thread. Some pictures are in some posts near the top of a thread on this forum:450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

I had another built on a 1972 Winchester Model 70 action. See this thread: A Second Bolt Rifle. This Winchester did not have a cone breech face, so it was sort of like a M98. The Springfield has a cone breech face, which makes installation a bit more difficult.

Forum member wvcruffler has installed a 450B in a 1891 Argentine Mauser action. Photos are near the end of the Picture Thread linked above.

If you ask more questions, we'll try to help.

--Bob
edited for spelling
Last edited by pitted bore on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pitted bore

Postby gramps » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 am

Delete
Last edited by gramps on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gramps

Postby pitted bore » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:59 am

gramps wrote:Pitted bore,did you deal directly with Mc Gowen or did the barrel order have to go thru your smith?

Don-
I dealt directly with McGowen and took the barrel to my gunsmith when it arrived. The details on the barrel specs are on the "Second Bolt Rifle" thread linked in my post above. I was pleased with the delivery time of about 5-6 weeks because they had to turn the barrel from a blank. My 'smith and I were happy with the quality and finish of the barrel.

As I recall, it can be tricky to get a Mauser reliably to feed cartridges of diameters different than those for which it was designed. I can get three in the magazine of the Springfield and it feeds well; four in the magazine results in problems. Because the magazine is longer than the cartridges, if the action is not worked smartly the cartridges can take a nose dive into the front of the magazine. Shortening the magazine box is an option, but right now it's more trouble than it's worth. Modifying the rifle to take AR magazines is an option too.

Please keep posting about your progress with the work.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby gramps » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Delete
Last edited by gramps on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gramps

Postby Wicked Hunter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:29 pm

A little late, but welcome Gramps. Sounds like you're a wopping 45 minutes away from me. I little just north of Auburn IN.
Wicked Hunter

Postby gramps » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Delete
Last edited by gramps on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gramps

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles