New guy saying hello

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New guy saying hello

Postby wildcatter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Hey Dandy Don, don't listen to them guys. I usually have to tackle them to get any S'mores!!

Shore-Nuff, Welcom-Welcome!

If'n you can handle a 16 twist barrel, which is better suited for the heavier bullets, then here is a good cheap start on a barrel blank..

..t

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/barrelblan ... -4140,-116
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby gramps » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Delete
Last edited by gramps on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gramps

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:38 pm

gramps wrote:wildcatter, thanks for the welcome.

If I haven't been sleeping while reading you're like the father of this cartridge?????

Been wondering about which twist would be best. Have read that Bushmaster uses 1/24. That works for Sabot in Muzzies with 250 SST really well, but this a different game.

I wouldn't be able to work with the Green Mountain barrel because of limited income I have to do all the work on this myself other than getting a threaded and contoured barrel that is short chambered for the 450B. I do have a well equipped home machine shop and can do precise work, but, my machines are limited in capacity. Have 2 lathes. One very small manual with radius dials on it. The other a 12x24 manual with a selection of chucks and digital on x and y, but a small head stock, and no taper attachment. Also a mill with digital on all 3 axis.

Well so much for my JUNK-- Hey thanks for the come back and link to Green Mountain. I also would be very interested in learning more about this cartridge and it's development.

Have a good one.

Don

Nah, That guy you are thinking about is Brad Pitt's Body-Double, hansom beyond belief, rich and famous, etc.

I'm just a guy trying to make an honest living, eating the S'mores, but with the Competition with the likes of Dawg, Commander Fast & Furious, jeep-jeep (From here on A.K.A. as "Jeepster") and that crowd of scoundrels, it's hard to find eatable S'mores, these days..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby jerdebson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:09 am

Such modesty... :lol:
Jerry

NRA Benefactor Member, Whittington Center Life Member, USPSA Life Member, SASS Life Member, LJRC Life Member

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
jerdebson

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:14 am

Don't let W.C. fool ya. He IS inthe King Julien and were are just the Lemurs.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby gramps » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Delete
Last edited by gramps on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gramps

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:24 am

gramps wrote:Hello to all. Stumbled onto this forum a couple of weeks ago and I must say that I'm impressed with the pictures and info about projects that members are sharing here. Seems to be a friendly group that shares and don't bash each other. Hard to find today.

I'm from South central Michigan. Retired machine repairman. Main firearms interest is bolt action rifles and handguns. Small home machine shop allows me to do much of my own gun work. Have had good mentors over the years and don't bubba things.

There is a chance that Michigan will allow rifles with a max 1.800 case length to be used in the Southern part of the state. Bill passed the House and Senate has it now.

I need to toss in a question here. Has anyone built a 450 Bushmaster on a 98 Mauser style action?

Once again, Hello to all

Don

Welcome aboard Don, you ever get up in the thumb drop me a line.

I really need to get up to date on what's going on, didn't even know there was something new in the looms allowing short cases which is about time!!!!

Anyhow, McGowens barrels are great and they could contour and thread for your action if needed. I wouldn't hesitate on a 16t, jackets are pretty thick on the FTX, XTP mags, plus Hornady has a new .45cal monoflex ready to market which should be a scream, and then there are a few pickings from Barnes also.
Al in Mi

Postby fireball168 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Gramps,

If it would help you along, I've got a 17" #5 contour McGowen .452 16 twist blank here I've been intending to put on a commercial Mauser, for a couple of years, but haven't.

It isn't threaded or chambered, but the contouring is done and appropriate for a sporter Mauser.

$110 or thereabouts would get it to you in MI.

Bryan
fireball168

Postby wildcatter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Hey Gramps,

Al in Mi is in the north end of the thumb, I'm on the other end, over in the Lapeer area.

Just-sooz-ya-noze, I make a legal, Zone Three (MI talk) 450b-AR.

PM me and we'll hook-up by land line and I'll tell ya how to do it, same for you AL, even though I think I may have already offered..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:34 pm

yes you have and we might do the jump over the winter, but the 410 has me smiling ear to ear right now.
Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles