which 308 for a meager budget?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

which 308 for a meager budget?

Postby cptrifeg2 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:54 pm

Well I've been bitten by the sniper rifle bug..I'm already in the middle of a mauser rebuild but I also want a budget miser 308 bolt action that is true but on the cheap side. realistically I dont shoot more than 500 yards ever, what models can you recommend (I like heavy barrels)? used rifles are also fine by me.

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Re: which 308 for a meager budget?

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:03 am

Savage Model 12. They are available in a variety of short action calibers and a variety of barrel weights. Caliber change is as simple as unscrewing the barrel nut and barrel. Screwing the other caliber barrel in until it headspaces. Reinstalling the nut. Re-checking the headspace. Maybe 20 minutes after the first time. Their Accu-Trigger is great. No need to replace them unless you need to "keep up with the Jone's". Lots of them on GB and GA.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:21 pm

What he said....the Savage Model 12 is an amazingly good factory machine.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:32 pm

If you want the latest and greatest on an AR platform - http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/go-big-or-go-home-colt-le901-16s-review/.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby cptrifeg2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks guys, I was able to narrow in after you pointed me the right direction at a few possibilities all under $500-
VANGUARD® SERIES 2 SYNTHETIC ( you have to hunt but found a few new for just under $500) even comes in .338!
Thompson/Center Venture
Ruger American Rifle
Remington Model 770 Stainless Camo
Mossberg ATR Deer THUG Rifles
Marlin X7 Scoped Combo
Howa/Hogue Rifle
Savage Axis
Savage 12 (as hoot stated but I could only find used rifles in varying condition for $500).
Keep in mind I have not held any of these in my hands yet. more to come.

"Soldier's dont rise to the occasion, but fall to their level of training".
cptrifeg2

Postby MarkCO » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:28 pm

While a lot of guys will point to the Remington 700 5R, I still like the Remington 700 SPS TACT AAC-SD 308 better. It's not quite so fancy, has a threaded barrel for a comp or can and the tried and true Rem 700 action. The trigger is excellent, and adjustable. The Hogue stock is durable and takes the abuse well. I put a nylon riser pad on it and it actually looks tough and capable, which it is, as well as a great value. It's probably as good as you get all things considered if you really want to shoot sniper style matches.
MarkCO

Postby MarkCO » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:36 pm

[quote="cptrifeg2"]
VANGUARD® SERIES 2 SYNTHETIC
Thompson/Center Venture
Ruger American Rifle
Remington Model 770 Stainless Camo
Mossberg ATR Deer THUG Rifles
Marlin X7 Scoped Combo
Howa/Hogue Rifle
Savage Axis
Savage 12quote]

Take the Rem 770 and Mossberg ATR off the list. Very little aftermarket support and the accuracy is not there.

Realisitically, you are going to be looking at Savages and Rem 700s if quality MOA rails, scope mounts, recoil lugs, etc. are of any concern to you. Sure, some of the other sporter grade .308s may perform, but when you want to upgrade, you are going to have to ditch what you have for a Rem or a Savage or pay an arm and a leg for those parts. The price difference between a Rem/Sav barrel and any of the others is enough to buy the Rem action block and barrel wrench.
MarkCO

Return to Bolt Action Rifles