Lever action 450B?

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Lever action 450B?

Postby Stealthshooter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Do any of you know of any lever guns being chambered in 450? I really want a lever gun and I want it in a 45 cal but I don't want to have to purchase new dies and find brass and all that. I would really like to find one in 450B so I can just use what I have.
Stealthshooter

Re: Lever action 450B?

Postby pitted bore » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 am

Stealthshooter-
I'm not aware of any commercially-made 450B leverguns. Other forum members may be more knowledgeable.

I suspect a that a Winchester Model 88 could be made to shoot a 450B. One of the original chamberings for that rifle was the 284. It might be easiest to find a Model 88 originally made for the 284 and install a new barrel. It's likely to be an expensive project, but the rifle would have a major WOW factor.

Some other forum members may know about the possibilities of converting a Winchester 94 or Marlin to feed a rimless cartridge reliably. The Marlin can handle the rimless 35 Remington, and they produce a lot of rifles chambered for the 45-70. Again, the rifle will likely need to be rebarreled if the mechanics of feeding can be worked out. The older and reproduction models of the Winchester 86 have been converted to handle the 450 Alaskan, so diameter of the 450B would not be an issue. Again, there may be problems with using a rimless cartridge, particularly one with a rebated rim.
--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Bolt Action Rifles