More Bolt Action 450 Bushmasters

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: More Bolt Action 450 Bushmasters

Postby dogsniper » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:35 am

Ed,

Very nice to see these on Remington and Winchester actions. I have converted a few Savage rifles, and have posted them on here in a few different threads. I also use McGowen Barrels and have had great success with them. The accuracy is excellent, and they really don't seem to foul (copper) much at all, which makes cleaning a breeze, and should make for a long life of accuracy. I noticed from your phone number you are also located in Indiana, and I'm thinking maybe I have seen you at one of the gun shows??

Really nice work, this caliber is REALLY making it big here in Indiana....the more people realize how devastating these rifles are in the woods, everyone is going to want one!
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Postby EDBOHMAN » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:55 pm

So far the McGowen Barrels have been performing very nicely. I haven't had one yet that won't shoot MOA or better. I've been using the 1:24 twist primarily, but have used the 1:16 on a few. The 1:16 performed as well as the 1:24 out to 300 yards. I have been using the Douglas 5A contour, but I do have some Douglas #5's on the way so I am curious to see how the lighter barrels perform. I haven't experimented with any of the lighter bullets yet. I have been hearing good things about the 225 FTX's. I will be trying out some 200gr FTX's. I haven't done any shows yet, but I do have a booth at the upcoming Indiana Whitetail, Turkey, Waterfowl Expo this weekend. I've got 6 rifles built to sell at the show. As for the M70, that was one of the first 450's I built a couple years back. I never realized he posted it on here. The new M70's are nice, but I do think the 700's shoot a little better.
EDBOHMAN

Postby dogsniper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 pm

I will be sure to stop in and say hello at the deer and turkey expo. Did you get your reamer and gauges from Manson reamers? That's where I ordered mine from. Great guy to deal with. All of the ones I have done have had the 24 twist, they have been outstanding. I haven't tried anything but the 250ftx. Rolling my own so to speak and getting good velocity and proven performance on a few deer this year.
It's not the size of the Dog in the Fight that matters....It's the amount of Fight in the Dog!
dogsniper

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles