Would love to see this rifle

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Would love to see this rifle

Postby Kibble » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:53 am

When I was a kid my dad introduced to to a great old man who was a gunsmith and retired Marine Sniper, which started me down this road of cartridge collecting. The other day I'm looking though my collection and I found something interesting. It is a wildcat cartridge that my gunsmith friend created which he called the 284/45. It is a 284 Win cut off at the neck and loaded with a 45 cal bullet (doesn't sound at all familiar, right). The story behind this was that a customer came to my friend wanting a 45 cal bolt action for hog hunting and this is what they came up with.

My gunsmith friend passed away several years ago now. I never did get to see the rifle that he built and have no idea who or where the rifle went to. I thought this might be a place to start looking. If this sounds familiar to anyone, I would love to see a picture of that rifle. If I am remembering correctly the rifle was built on a Mauser 98 action and would have been built around 1995.
Kibble

Re: Would love to see this rifle

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Humm,
I was building that cartridge in the very early 1980's. The gun writters were writting about it. I did make one in a 1917 enfield. Do you think there might be a connection. It was calked the 45 Professional back then??

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Kibble » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:54 am

It could have been an Enfield action, I was only about 15 at the time and unfortunately didn't pay close enough attention to those details. As long as it ate ammo and went bang, I didn't pay much more attention. The man that built this particular rifle lived in Grand Haven, MI. Name was Jason Grimm.
Kibble

Postby wildcatter » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:04 pm

I might have run into him.. I live on the other side of the state, in the thumb area. I used to run around allot in Grand Haven. Humm..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Bolt Action Rifles