Any action preference for a bolt gun??

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Any action preference for a bolt gun??

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:56 am

I'm looking to do a bolt gun for a winter project, been thinking something with a detachable mag which narrows the choices.

One thought I had were a Remington 700 with their detachable mag, just not sure how the 450 rounds will stack in the mag or feed.

The Ruger American looks like a option, but I have never seen one first hand, same goes for a Savage Axis.

Any inputs fellas??
Al in Mi

Re: Any action preference for a bolt gun??

Postby wildcatter » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Al in Mi wrote:I'm looking to do a bolt gun for a winter project, been thinking something with a detachable mag which narrows the choices.

One thought I had were a Remington 700 with their detachable mag, just not sure how the 450 rounds will stack in the mag or feed.

The Ruger American looks like a option, but I have never seen one first hand, same goes for a Savage Axis.

Any inputs fellas??

Hey Al how about a Mossberg MVP Non Fluted Varmint 223, "NON-FLUTED". They are usually in 24". But you can go back down the barrel until you get a Muzzle diameter, of say .700" and cut it off. Getting the barrel re-bored out to .4515" and your good to go, after rechambering, with a minimum of fuss. I have a barrel maker North of Standish, that does single point rifling..

..t

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles- ... mint/27700 This is fluted, but you get the idea..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:58 am

Tim, what about the 308 version, that would eliminate altering the bolt face, but it takes the 308 mags.

I'd probably put a Pac or McGowen on it anyways, just wondering if any feeding issues might arise with that longer mag.

Might be able to seat the bullets out to help with that.........hmmmm...........think I have a Magpul LR mag here someplace, have to go digging.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Al in Mi wrote:Tim, what about the 308 version, that would eliminate altering the bolt face, but it takes the 308 mags.

I'd probably put a Pac or McGowen on it anyways, just wondering if any feeding issues might arise with that longer mag.

Might be able to seat the bullets out to help with that.........hmmmm...........think I have a Magpul LR mag here someplace, have to go digging.

Yeah having a 308 length Mag could cause feeding problems, you'll have to consider that and opening up the 223 bolt and stroking the extractor, is just a thing..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:54 pm

I'm leaning the 308 way for a couple of reasons. One is not altering the bolt face which isn't a problem for me, but that 223 bolt has that drop down lip that I'd really need to have in hand to figure out. The other would be seating bullets a little farther out which would make room for some extra 1680 :o

The 450 rounds stack in a 20rd LR308 P-Mag pretty neat and thumb out just as easy. There is about a extra 1/2" of space to the front of the mag that might need to be filled in to keep the rounds from jumping forward.

Going to have to look it over closer in the ole deer blind tomorrow morning and give Scott a call on price and availability of a 308 Predator.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Al in Mi wrote:I'm leaning the 308 way for a couple of reasons. One is not altering the bolt face which isn't a problem for me, but that 223 bolt has that drop down lip that I'd really need to have in hand to figure out. The other would be seating bullets a little farther out which would make room for some extra 1680 :o

The 450 rounds stack in a 20rd LR308 P-Mag pretty neat and thumb out just as easy. There is about a extra 1/2" of space to the front of the mag that might need to be filled in to keep the rounds from jumping forward.

Going to have to look it over closer in the ole deer blind tomorrow morning and give Scott a call on price and availability of a 308 Predator.

Yeah, those are some good reasons for using the 308 and what with your machining skills..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby Jirover » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 pm

I have been a bolt action fan for my entire life. Lately I have developed an affinity for lever actions. I bought a 39A and am having a ball with it. It can't get much easier to clean than one of those. I also own a BLR in 7-08 I am thinking might become my favorite of all time.
Jirover

Postby Gunny51 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Built from a Remington .308 blue printed action, B&C Medalist Classic stock, McGowen 22" barrel, PTG DBM and 1 piece tactical bolt,
5+1 round magazine, a Huber Concepts 2 stage trigger and Leopold VX 6 2-12 CDS scope. Built by Ed Bohanon http://bohmanarms.com/

FullSizeRender-3.jpg
FullSizeRender-3.jpg (109.49 KiB) Viewed 19790 times
Last edited by Gunny51 on Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunny51

Postby BayShoreBallistics » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:48 pm

That looks SWEET!
Liberty and Freedom for All!(Some restrictions apply, must be over 18 and not available in all states)
BayShoreBallistics

Postby bullnose » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Gunny51 wrote:Built from a Remington .308 blue printed action, B&C Medalist Classic stock, McGowen 22" barrel, PTG DBM and 1 piece tactical bolt, 4+1 round magazine, a Huber Concepts 2 stage trigger and Leopold VX 6 2-12 CDS scope. Built by Ed Bohanon http://bohmanarms.com/

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about!
Never give the devil a ride, 'cuz pretty soon he'll want to drive.
bullnose

Return to Bolt Action Rifles