New member Bolt questions

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

New member Bolt questions

Postby Easy_E » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Hello I'm a 450 ar15 owner and wanting a bolt gun in 450 . I have a pile of parts ready to go to the gunsmith but have some questions ? I don't have the action barreled but feeding the rounds in the bare action the rounds nose dive. They feed perfect out of the ACIS magazines. I see some BDL guns posted are the single shots or do they use the magazine ?
I have a HS stock that can go BDL and bottom metal to cut in if it doesnt work.
Please give me your thoughts
Ed
Easy_E

Re: New member Bolt questions

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:21 am

Ed, try to simulate a spacer in the back of the mag by seating the round closer to the front of the mag box, see if that keeps them from nose diving. The next option I can think of is it to put a spacer in the front of the mag box with a ramp milled, cut, filed, etc, in the center that would guide the round to the center of the barrel.

I'm glad to hear the ACIS mag feeds as that was going to be my backup plan if the above failed in my build.

Details on the barrel please???
Al in Mi

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:45 am

1st cup of Dunkin down and forgot, Wyatts Outdoors makes a single stack mag box for the 700's, Brownells use to carry them.

You might need to tweak the feed lips a little for the bolt to catch the round, and I'm not sure what the capacity will end up at.
Al in Mi

Postby Easy_E » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:58 am

Thanks for the reply the barrel is a McGowan 16 twist 26" . Haven't decided on where to chop it yet.
Easy_E

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:43 am

what was lead time on it?

also, who chassis is that??
Al in Mi

Postby Easy_E » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:15 am

Four months on the lead time . The stock is a Rock Solid from a guy in Tx. The rounds feed great but it will end up in the HS stock permanently.
Easy_E

Postby Easy_E » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:45 pm

We had to wait for a reamer but the gun is together. It feeds nice out of the ACIS magazines.
Here's a video of it feeding.http://youtu.be/am30H_TowGI
Easy_E

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:08 am

sweet, really sweet build there Ed.

who's bottom metal on that HS stock? I like the mag release inside the trigger guard.

I have a barrel just need some free time and a free lathe to turn it down. Still haven't decided what the donors going to be, either a Ruger 77 or a Mossberg MVP, now maybe a 700 after seeing yours!!!!
Al in Mi

Postby Easy_E » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:16 pm

The bottom metal was made by defiance . I don't know if they still offer it they were clearancing them when purchased . I'm a big fan of the 700 action and hate change. I really should have used a cheaper action mag system but I shoot prairie dogs and long range with the same gun setup . I will post groups and speeds out of the 25" barrel.
Easy_E

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:56 am

Ed, you get a chance to put that thing on paper yet?
Al in Mi

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles