Velocity in a 450BM bolt gun from a 16 vs a 20" bbl

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Velocity in a 450BM bolt gun from a 16 vs a 20" bbl

Postby ACETac » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:20 pm

IceAxe wrote:It's a Blackhole Weaponry, Jay at BHW was kind enough to do the custom work and use the AR Perf. 800 series bolt. I was concerned that it might not feed properly with the larger bolt and possibly hang on the case mouth. As it turned out it feed great and I haven't had any issues with it's operation. As well as it works I wouldn't mind picking up another one but they are never available. At least not on the site when I check.

How is the accuracy of polygonal rifled BHW barrel? I'm considering one of there savage barrels.
ACETac

Re: Velocity in a 450BM bolt gun from a 16 vs a 20" bbl

Postby IceAxe » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:49 pm

I have had great luck with the accuracy of all the BHW barrels I have bought. They have all shot MOA or less. One thing I noticed on one of my 6mm x 45 BHW barrels, I bought a thousand moly coated 6mm Sierra bullets that were discontinued, I had read that prior to shooting moly coated bullets you should remove any copper fouling. So I soaked the bore with an ammonia based cleaner and waited about 10 or 15 minutes, then I ran a clean swab and expected to see some blue residue, no blue. I repeated the process and still no evidence of any copper fouling. I shoot this particular rifle a lot both at the range and coyote hunting so I should have seen something. I think the polygonal or elliptical rifling is just easier on the projectile with less engraving.
NRA Life
IceAxe

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles