Point of diminishing returns (barrel length)

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Point of diminishing returns (barrel length)

Postby ACETac » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:53 am

Hi guys, I am new here but not new to firearms or the 450 BM. I have built a few bolt action 450 BM's on Savage actions and have had some great success. These have mostly been for family or friends as gifts, I have yet to keep one. Well the time is here, I want to build my own. The question I have is barrel length and the point of diminishing returns. I have built all of my guns so far with a 20" barrel. I have done this mainly for maneuverability, velocity wasn't a concern. However I want to build mine with velocity being the top concern. I am an avid reloader and can take advantage of some slower powders to gain some velocity as well, but what length will yield the result I'm looking for? Based on the research I've seen 24" seems to be it, what do you guys think? Thanks!
ACETac

Re: Point of diminishing returns (barrel length)

Postby Hoot » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome aboard Ace. I actually replied to a similar post this morning. In a synthetic modeling program, the net increase in velocity going from 20" to 24" is predicted to be around 65-70fps. Real world results will vary, usually on the greater side. There are other benefits though subjective in nature, such as a small reduction in muzzle blast as the total burn point occurs further back from the muzzle and a small reduction in perceived recoil. I've said this before, but the only reason I bought the 20" upper was because at the time, no one was offering a 24".
I like big barrels, I cannot lie... ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby ACETac » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks for the reply Hoot. I hope to bring some new ideas and knowledge to this forum while at the same time learning some things myself. I have a build planned that will be a bit different than anything I've seen to this point, I look forward to sharing my results.
ACETac

Postby pitted bore » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:38 am

ACETac-
Please accept my echo of Hoot's welcome.
ACETac wrote: ... However I want to build mine with velocity being the top concern. I am an avid reloader and can take advantage of some slower powders to gain some velocity as well, but what length will yield the result I'm looking for? Based on the research I've seen 24" seems to be it, what do you guys think?
It's certainly intriguing to consider barrel length on 450B bolt rifles, especially regarding velocity. The 20" and 26" barrels on my two 450B bolt rifles certainly produce different velocities using the same loads. However, I havent' paid any systematic attention to these differences because the barrels have different internal dimensions.

Your statement about 24 inches seeming to be "it" is really interesting. Is the research to which you refer readily available online or elsewhere? I have simply assumed that the velocities obtained with my 26" barrel are greater than if the barrel were 2" to 3" shorter, but I don't know this for sure. I'm probably will not start sawing the barrel off in increments to find an answer.

I recall reading that Tim/wildcatter has exprimented with barrels considerably longer than usual, like 40+ inches, but a quick search didn't find that information.
ACETac wrote: ... I hope to bring some new ideas and knowledge to this forum while at the same time learning some things myself. I have a build planned that will be a bit different than anything I've seen to this point, I look forward to sharing my results.

The new ideas and observations you plan to post on this forum are anticipated happily.

--Bob
pitted bore

Return to Bolt Action Rifles