Remington 700 build questions.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Remington 700 build questions.

Postby Bowhnt » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Hey all. New here from Michigan. Decided to build a 450 bushmaster bolt gun on a 700 short action. Few questions I am hoping to get some help with. My idea as of now is to go with an 18 or 20 inch heavy barrel (unsure of manufacturer as of now), Timney trigger,and a leupold cds scope. My first task is replacing the junk factory stock with a quality one. I am wanting to convert it from an adl to a detachable box mag.

My first question is in regards to magazines. What detatchable mags will I want to use? Thinking about a hs precision stock already converted to dbm that accepts aics mags. Just a standard 308 mag or will I need to do some smithing on the mags

Second question is about barrels. Is there any disadvantage to using a remage style remington barrel with a savage style lock nut? I am comfortable doing all of the work my own with the exception of the barrel swap. But if a remage style barrel swap is ok I would consider trying it myself.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I get into this project. I plan on making it a winter project. Will plan on reloading for it this spring.
Bowhnt

Re: Remington 700 build questions.

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:23 am

Bowhnt wrote:Hey all. New here from Michigan. Decided to build a 450 bushmaster bolt gun on a 700 short action. Few questions I am hoping to get some help with. My idea as of now is to go with an 18 or 20 inch heavy barrel (unsure of manufacturer as of now), Timney trigger,and a leupold cds scope. My first task is replacing the junk factory stock with a quality one. I am wanting to convert it from an adl to a detachable box mag.

My first question is in regards to magazines. What detatchable mags will I want to use? Thinking about a hs precision stock already converted to dbm that accepts aics mags. Just a standard 308 mag or will I need to do some smithing on the mags

Second question is about barrels. Is there any disadvantage to using a remage style remington barrel with a savage style lock nut? I am comfortable doing all of the work my own with the exception of the barrel swap. But if a remage style barrel swap is ok I would consider trying it myself.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I get into this project. I plan on making it a winter project. Will plan on reloading for it this spring.

little late to the party, but just got done doing one in time for season.

Mine wears a 24" stainless barrel from Apache Gunworks, was like $250. Jim will do it in a remage also. I dropped mine in a Hogue stock to get it running, I may leave it or put it in a laminate, haven't gave it much thought yet. I had planned to use CDI bottom metal and AICS mags, didn't have time to get the inlet done, but it feeds and functions factory rounds fine from the BDL system as is. It looks like the 308 mags will work just fine, might need a feed lip tweak seeing the 450 case is a bit fatter, but will see once the inlet gets done.
Al in Mi

Return to Bolt Action Rifles