A Special 450 Bushmaster Project

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: A Special 450 Bushmaster Project

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:06 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I sent my barrel in for threading and a Ross Brake. Meanwhile, I've got to take a bit off the stock and add a Limbsaver pad.

So's this fellow! ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:57 am

:lol:
What's the best method to take a couple inches off of a rifle stock? I don't have a table saw.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:37 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote::lol:
What's the best method to take a couple inches off of a rifle stock? I don't have a table saw.

I play my machinist stupid cards with my carpenter buddies and have them cut stocks with a power miter saw :o

takes me longer to grab and crack beers than it does for them to do it!
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:51 am

Al in Mi wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote::lol:

I play my machinist stupid cards with my carpenter buddies and have them cut stocks with a power miter saw :o

That's what I have used, the few time that I've had to do one. Pick the straighter of the two reference surfaces. Both being equal, preference goes to the one that presents the least angle to the butt. Lower the chop arm, loosen the angle lock and with that reference surface against the fence, rotate the angle plate to square the butt to the blade. Lock the angle plate, pick an amount to remove and tape around the stock at the cut mark to minimize splintering. Lift the chop blade, hold on tight and wango tango. A sharp blade and a slow feed is all you need.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:01 am

Hey Dawg another option might be to look up a youth stock, not sure how much shorter they are thou.
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:30 am

Well. I've got a scroll saw and a band saw but no miter saw. I wished I had room for a table saw but right now, my shop is a total disaster with having to move moms stuff out here. I did buy a storage container and there's room in there to move all that crap over there but I really need help moving stuff right now so it's all just gone to hell.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 2500 HD » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:24 am

Al in Mi

You know Al us stupid carpenters aren't very good machinest either. Lol. What flavor do you like to drink. Lol
2500 HD

Postby bullnose » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:28 pm

I'm waiting on a recoil pad myself - I went with a Hogue grind to fit. Between waiting for that and the weather staying in the 30s and snowing every day for the last week I haven't been terribly motivated to go to the range. It's supposed to be close to 70 by next weekend, so that might draw me out to see how it shoots.
Last edited by bullnose on Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give the devil a ride, 'cuz pretty soon he'll want to drive.
bullnose

Postby plant_one » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:03 pm

bullnose wrote:I'm waiting on a recoil pad myself - I went with a Hogue grind to fit. Between waiting for that and the weather staying in the 30s and snowing every day for the last week I haven't been terribly motivated to go to the range. It's supposed to be close to 70 by next weekend, so that might draw me out see how it shoots.

im in the same boat you are re: weather. this deciding to snow or not in april crap is for the birds.

i dont do load developement until it hits 70 - so likke yourself i'm stuck waiting for the weather.

the only kind of shooting i do when its cold is load testing to get data from proven loads, hunting, and sometimes playing with factory stuff - like breaking in my A17 a few weeks back there when it first got into the upper 50's :D
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:02 am

New video is up on my You Tube Channel
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles