A Special 450 Bushmaster Project

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

A Special 450 Bushmaster Project

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Back a few years ago, Tim and myself had a conversation that probably bounced back and forth for over a week discussing the possibility of a 450 Bushmaster offered in a single shot, H&R/New Englander breakover single shot rifle barrel that could be put on an existing receiver. Most of our time was spent discussing the extractor, since the 450B has a recessed rim. Our "project" basically died before it saw an engineers' pencil.
But someone was either eavesdropping on our cell phones or reading our minds. Because now, theres a gunworks in Michigan who is making this exact same thing.
Ben Newton of BK Guns N Stuff has been working hard in his shop making these little jewels.
Ben and his single shot 450 Bushmasters first caught my attention on our FaceBook page. Back on September 10th, Ben posted a few pictures on our group page and made this announcement.
"-----450 BUSHMASTER---- Time to let the cat out of the bag. We are working on a single shot 450 bushmaster rifle. We think it is high time to get away from the $1000 plus dollar range. We will have lots of options for these. They are based on the New England/H&R Sb2 receiver. Let's us know if you have any questions, comments, or interest!!"

Well guys, I fell in love. So, I took the plunge. While the barrel only conversion is available, I ordered a complete rifle.
If you want more information on this little rifle, go to my facebook page and find my post that I shared 0n 12/11/2015 around 8:05PM central time. meanwhile, here's a few pictures....
image.jpeg
pic001
image.jpeg (257.11 KiB) Viewed 17324 times

image.jpeg
pic002
image.jpeg (193.14 KiB) Viewed 17324 times

image.jpeg
pic003
image.jpeg (118.49 KiB) Viewed 17324 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Re: A Special 450 Bushmaster Project

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:26 pm

image.jpeg
100targ3sht
image.jpeg (127.7 KiB) Viewed 17322 times

This is a 100 yard shot with three shots
factory ammo..

These rifles start out at $525 for a basic 16".
For a 20" rifle, they start out at $550
Also add $15 if you want a scope base put on.
They also have other options available, prices
available on the facebook page.
they also do porting.

image.jpg
a002
image.jpg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 17322 times

image.jpg
blanks
image.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 17322 times

image.jpeg
a004
image.jpeg (170.68 KiB) Viewed 17322 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:08 am

Every time I see a short presentation 450b, my mind immediately goes to this:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:51 pm

Hoot wrote:Every time I see a short presentation 450b, my mind immediately goes to this:

Hoot

Short? :shock:
I didn't say it was a 20" barrel? :oops:
Mine is a 20" barrel, but he makes 18,16 and others too.... ;)
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:15 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Hoot wrote:Every time I see a short presentation 450b, my mind immediately goes to this:
...snip...
Hoot

Short? :shock:
I didn't say it was a 20" barrel? :oops:
Mine is a 20" barrel, but he makes 18,16 and others too.... ;)

The operative word is presentation, which while it includes barrel length, it is also influenced by the length of the action. In autoloaders, pumps, levers and bolt actions, they present longer if for no other reason than the longer action required to cycle the rounds adds to the overall length. When I shot Skeet every week, for many years, the benefit of the shorter action provided by an over-under shotgun was IMHO, a plus for fast acquisition of the birds. That black stocked, single shot 450b portrayed in the third image of this thread, I can't say this enough IMHO, looks too short to balance properly. Not having shot it, that observation is based solely on its presentation.

All you recent converts from states formerly restricted to shotgun or handgun deer hunting, but which recently began allowing rifles that shoot "handgun" cartridges, answer something for me and save me searching your individual DNR web sites. Do those states restrict the use of autoloading rifles which shoot handgun calibers? I ask because many of you are showing up with bolt action deer rifles in the 450b caliber. I'm a big proponent of making that first shot count and negating the need for a quick follow-up shot. I myself have never hunted deer with a bolt action because if I needed a follow-up shot, the last thing I wanted to do was remove my trigger hand from the grip in order to cycle the next round. I've been fortunate over the years to have only needed a followup shot once because the sharp angle from the tree stand I was in and the proximity of the deer, made me miss him clean. In that case he was more concerned with the doe in front of him, than in me and I made my second shot count. Not to misrepresent hunters in my state, many of whom shoot bolt action rifles under the same circumstances which compel me to use an autoloader. The point of the question is not which platform is best for deer hunting, but given so many reasonably priced 450b uppers available right now, why pay a handsome price to have a bolt action modified or custom made to accommodate this caliber if you already own a black rifle? Is that a restriction in your state? Lastly, again as it relates to deer hunting as I experience it here in the north woods, my last choice for a deer rifle action would be a single shot. If I lived where most of the deer hunting scenarios were over great distances with long range calibers, the deer quite often does not realize he/she has been shot at if missed, or where it came from and in that scenario I could see the single shot as not being a handicap as quite often, time is on the shooters side. Not looking for a "Less Filling / Tastes Great" debate, just some perspective.

Again, not to inflame, but at ranges of 100 yds or less, I consider my 450b to be a howitzer, but out beyond that I feel it falls more in the arena of a mortar. Both being lethal and predictable, but different. Large rocks, when hurled from a catapult, may take a rainbow trajectory to you, but they still squash you flat and by virtue of their projectile weight defy crosswinds that would push a lighter projectile off course. I am only saying this as my opinion, not an inarguable fact. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Mort » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:51 am

Hoot, to answer your question for Indiana;Indiana does not restrict the use of auto-loading firearms. I simply prefer to use one for the reduced recoil. As I age I find heavy recoil less and less appealing. I would have no problem using my bushmaster as a single shot and usually do while hunting. A quick follow up shot is not even a consideration for me 99% of the time, although if ever wanted/needed it's nice to have the option. No ill-will intended, just different strokes for different folks!!

Mort
Mort

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Hoot, Michigan doesn't ban EBR's (evil black rifles) or conventional semi autos either.

My case for building a bolt gun was two fold.
1) I want to see what I can squeeze out of a 450B past what the pressure limits are for a AR platform.
2) When my kids come up to hunt they only have used bolt action slug guns over the years so at this point they are more versed in bolt guns that in semi auto's even thou they have shot the 223's a little. Dad plans to rectify that this summer thou.

Along the lines of #2 above, I have seen a lot of guys in the gunshops getting pimped out in new AR 450B's that probably would be better suited with a single shots period.
Al in Mi

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Hoot, The main reason I want this single shot is so that I can use it in ballistics testing.
Imagine shooting my FMJ freight trains from a single shot to take out the gas energy factor...
Plus, if I do take my grandson on a hunt with me, he will have a lightweight howitzer too... LOL
And around the farm, I can keep this single shot handy for predators.
But what I really like about a single shot is with this action, I can get the clearest picture of velocity
And case wear on the brass, with my hand loads.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bullnose » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:59 am

Al in Mi wrote: I have seen a lot of guys in the gunshops getting pimped out in new AR 450B's that probably would be better suited with a single shots period.

Amen to that!
Never give the devil a ride, 'cuz pretty soon he'll want to drive.
bullnose

Postby bullnose » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:03 am

I talked to Ben last night, it turns out he's only about 25 miles away from me. He seems like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy. It looks I'll be visiting him soon to get on his build list.
Never give the devil a ride, 'cuz pretty soon he'll want to drive.
bullnose

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles