My Savage Bolt action build

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: My Savage Bolt action build

Postby Warrick » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:00 am

It's kinda of weird right now because the way it was written but I understand it has to go back for clarification. It was passed by the state not the DNR. So it's not in the regulation book yet , but the law read

.243, .308, 30-30, 30-06, .300

I do still have my original 30-06 barrel I could change back to but I think I want to stick with the 450 BM for a bit.
Warrick

Postby plant_one » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:32 am

da new guy wrote:The guys from Saganaw were probably supplying the guns for this build.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =549654328

I tried asking them who the barrel is made by but never got an answer. I am really interested in buying it but wanted to make sure it's a solid build. Not trying to hijack the thread but what are your opinions on it? Also this might be a dumb question but is there much difference in recoil between an AR 450 and a bolt 450?

Thanks for all the information on this board, I recently found it and am on it learning a lot... :mrgreen:

i dunno why a FFL would buy retail from another FFL to do a conversion - unless that gun is being sold as a cabela's exclusive anyway. i mean i guess the price is right... which is kind of why i was fondling one in the first place. :lol:

the gentleman who told me about it didnt even try to suggest that it was a dealer, i took it as it was some dude doing it as a hobby type thing. then again - i didn't ask for specifics. at the time it was one of those 'oh thats cool, everyone's gotta have a hobby eh?' type of nuggets of info.
plant_one

Postby 450b-recluse » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:59 pm

plant_one wrote:i was talking to one of the counter guys at cabela's in saginaw a few weeks back. he said there was a guy coming in left and right buying Savage 12fv 308's from them, rebarreling them to 450bm and reselling them. with the savage rebate right now, one of those will set ya back just under $350 once you get your rebate back. sounds lie a nice economical way to do a out of the box conversion build if someone were so inclined.

Avis heavy barrel for $189 after rebate. In 243, the only thing you have to change is the barrel. Got one in 20 inch heavy for $115 delivered.
450b-recluse

Postby Warrick » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:12 pm

I thought about doing something similar to what that guy is doing to make a little extra money for more gun stuff. I looked into it and you must have a firearms manufactures FFL , or you could be in for federal fines and time in the pen. Not really worth it to me , but to each their own.
Warrick

Postby plant_one » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:52 pm

ya. we dont have all the details, just a 5 second comment i was given by a counter jockey at cabela's.

for all we know he's doing them for friends and family and not making a dime. or it could be that its the FFL buying them to resell out of his shop. IDGAF enough to go back and double check. :mrgreen:

just anecdotal information i was sharing that it was possible to do so on another cheap frame option if someone was looking for a platform to build one on :)
plant_one

Postby Warrick » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:46 pm

No problem , I just couldn't believe when I looked into it that you actually need a Manufactures FFL to buy a gun and customize it and sell it, but you can customize a customers gun with an dealer/gunsmith FFL.

If you choose to do things for people for free , you don't need anything lol.
Warrick

Postby plant_one » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:47 pm

you want to hear something thats even MORE messed up than what you found?

if you're a FFL dealer - you cant buy parts and assemble an AR-15 and sell a custom assembled rifle. you need a manufacturing licence to do that. even though all you've essentially done is an adult version of an erector set.

but as i understand it - you can sell a customer the same pile of parts and then charge an assembly fee to put it together for them after they own the parts. and then its just "gunsmithing".

the old saying "too err is human, to really screw something up you need a computer" should really say "to err is human, to really screw up let a govt official make the rules for it" :roll:
plant_one

Postby Warrick » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Pretty disappointing day at the range with the new set up. I think it was me more than the gun, I just have a lot of rust to knock off from the years of shooting very little.

It took me a few rounds to get on target and a total of 5 to zero at 100 yards. I was able to shoot four 3 shot groups.

I should have stuck with my plan to adjust my rear action screw torque setting, but I was a little thrown off by what I felt as poor groupings and kinda thought I could shot my way out of it lol. The best two groups were the last two with cooling time between each group. I only had 20 rounds to play with so at the end of the day I was left disappointed and wondering if I tightened the rear action screw down tighter if it would have brought the groups tighter. I set my front at 35 in lbs and the rear at 20 inch lbs.
Warrick

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:04 am

Warrick wrote:Pretty disappointing day at the range with the new set up. I think it was me more than the gun, I just have a lot of rust to knock off from the years of shooting very little.

It took me a few rounds to get on target and a total of 5 to zero at 100 yards. I was able to shoot four 3 shot groups.

I should have stuck with my plan to adjust my rear action screw torque setting, but I was a little thrown off by what I felt as poor groupings and kinda thought I could shot my way out of it lol. The best two groups were the last two with cooling time between each group. I only had 20 rounds to play with so at the end of the day I was left disappointed and wondering if I tightened the rear action screw down tighter if it would have brought the groups tighter. I set my front at 35 in lbs and the rear at 20 inch lbs.

To be honest. Whether those were your first accuracy run groups or ones a thousand rounds down the road. You're going to be hard pressed to do much better than that and this is important: Those are very good groups for this caliber! If you run them over a chrony and maybe you did, the velocity SD tells the tale. I shoot in disciplines where action torque factors in, but somehow, I suspect this caliber is less sensitive to those kind of influences. I could be wrong however.

Looks like you're off to a good start there.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Warrick » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks for the information Hoot. I had just completed everything on the gun I felt would make it accurate. I piller bed and glass bed the stock and installed the glass setup. So I was basically just getting the scope on paper and see what it would do.

I was using factory hornady 250 rounds.
Warrick

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles