My Savage Bolt action build

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

My Savage Bolt action build

Postby Warrick » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:58 pm

Hello all, I am new to the board but have been lurking for awhile. I started my build in November of 2015 and completed the rifle a few weeks ago. I built this rifle to deer hunt with in Indiana and to generally have a fun shooter!! Thanks to all for all the good info in this forum , and I hope to add some knowledge at some point.

I have a video of my build that might help if anyone is looking to turn their savage into a 450 bushmaster. https://youtu.be/GA6ueOXVX0k

Thanks again Warrick
Warrick

Re: My Savage Bolt action build

Postby pitted bore » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:19 am

Warrick-
Welcome to the 450B forums.

Your video may be helpful to individuals trying to decide how best to put together a 450B bolt gun.

We'll look forward to seeing some information about the upcoming glass pillar bedding project you described in the video. We're particularly interested in the results you obtain from shooting your rifle. Please post them in the forums.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Warrick » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:30 pm

I took the rifle out to the 100 yard range and put 23 down range of hornady 250 gr factory ammo. I have shot a total of 40 rounds through it so far. this was the best group so far. I need shorter scope mounts and do the bedding I was talking about, to hopefully improve the grouping or at least keep it more consistent. I am really excited about trying to get reloading equipment this year and get more out of this round than what the factory rounds offer. I will try to put together a video when I do the bedding , it will be a month or so.
Warrick

Postby 450b-recluse » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:52 am

Warrick
Came across your thread in Savage Forum and remembered seeing you here. I'm taking my Axis 450 to the range within the week and will post some dope here. It won't be too scientific, but I will sure enjoy creating it.For those of us who love the 450 as a caliber and have only been able to enjoy it in an AR platform, it was only a matter of time until the bolt craze hit. With Savage giving away the Axis heavy barrel models and the availability of very affordable barrels it's time for everyone to own one !
450b-recluse

Postby Warrick » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:53 pm

I just completed all the the things I wanted to do before I went back to the range. I plan on going this weekend to see if it will give be better consistent groups. It's been a lot of fun to build , I might have to pick up a axis and do it again!
Warrick

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:49 am

heard local GS here is pimping a rebarreled Savage Axis pretty heavy with what looks like laminated Boyds stock. $650ish
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:20 pm

i was talking to one of the counter guys at cabela's in saginaw a few weeks back. he said there was a guy coming in left and right buying Savage 12fv 308's from them, rebarreling them to 450bm and reselling them. with the savage rebate right now, one of those will set ya back just under $350 once you get your rebate back. sounds lie a nice economical way to do a out of the box conversion build if someone were so inclined.
plant_one

Postby da new guy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:18 pm

The guys from Saganaw were probably supplying the guns for this build.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =549654328

I tried asking them who the barrel is made by but never got an answer. I am really interested in buying it but wanted to make sure it's a solid build. Not trying to hijack the thread but what are your opinions on it? Also this might be a dumb question but is there much difference in recoil between an AR 450 and a bolt 450?

Thanks for all the information on this board, I recently found it and am on it learning a lot... :mrgreen:
da new guy

Postby Warrick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Indiana just opened up several modern centerfire rifle calibers for gun season this year. So I think the value of the gun went down substantially here in Indiana. I built this gun because they rejected the bill last year and said it wouldn't even be brought back up for the foreseeable future.

I still intend to use the BM as my primary firearm just because it's pretty cool gun.
Warrick

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:29 am

could always make a switch barrel ;)

what rounds did they make legal for you guys?
Al in Mi

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles