Please Help! Savage 450 build.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Please Help! Savage 450 build.

Postby 8ballcustomz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Hey guys I'm no stranger to the 450 cartridge and the loads of fun it can be, I have 30+ AR builds under my belt. However I am new to the bolt gun builds and I think I screwed up pretty good. Picked up a Savage 110 in 243 for my donor action. The first, and probably the last Savage in my safe among dozens of 700's. Didn't realize until I got home and did some research that I have a SA stagger feed on my hands. If I load the mag with 450 rounds they just pop back out. Is there a way to convert to center feed or am I up the creek without a paddle? Already purchased my barrel also.
8ballcustomz

Re: Please Help! Savage 450 build.

Postby Hoot » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:59 pm

Have you asked over on the Savage Shooters forum? Like here, they're an affable and helpful group of guys. A quick FAQ I looked at says that some configuration will support the .284 Winchester, so one would suspect it would also handle the 450b. Try asking over there in the 110 sub-forum. They have a plethora of FAQs as well.

Hoot

EDIT: OK, you made me look. I have several stagger feed Model 12's. One is for .308 parent cartridges, such as the .243, .260, 7mm-08 etc. It loads and retains factory fresh 450b rounds just fine. You sure you don't already have a center feed? I can't speak for them, as mine are all blind stagger feeds. Love them dearly. Barrel swap, caliber change with just a wrench and a set of go gauges in under an hour. Also, that is not the low end Axis model right?
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 8ballcustomz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:16 pm

I have not checked over there yet. Yes it's a 243 model 110 with blind stagger feed mag box. I have been racking my brain about it and thinking about the AR platform being stagger fed from a 223 mag. I may try to buy a replacement box for a 110 in 223 and see if that doesn't work out. I will definitely check out the Savage group and see if someone can't help me there. I don't have anything against the Savage platform I'm just a Remy guy and appreciate the platform more.
8ballcustomz

Postby 8ballcustomz » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Now to make matters worse I find out I have some bastard long action/short action stagger feed. Precisely the reason I will stick with my 7p0s
8ballcustomz

Postby Warrick » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:39 pm

I replied to you a savage shooters also , but built on a 110 stagger feed platform also. I took a centerfeed 308 magazine and epoxy it in my blind magazine well in my stock. You have to file down the front half inch to clear where your land area and where your stagger mag attaches. I found it worked best all the way to the front of the well with it tucked right under the old mag clip area. I put some very thin shims under it to bring it up slightly , but be careful to not go to high or your bolt will be pushed up and stick going in and out of the chamber side. it feeds pretty flawless.

Warrick

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Ooh, I like that! Very smart work-around.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Warrick » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks Hoot! I got there with the help of another poster on savage shooters so cant take all the credit. it was just a backwards way of thinking into a solution.
Warrick

Return to Bolt Action Rifles