The New England Style Single Shot 450 Bushmaster.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: The New England Style Single Shot 450 Bushmaster.

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:26 pm

I would think the Nosler FN or the Magtech SWC would have similar aerodynamics to the original Hornady FN...? The Magtech immediately caught my eye as something interesting to try...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
User avatar
commander faschisto
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 6:32 pm
Location: Oklahoma City USA

Re: The New England Style Single Shot 450 Bushmaster.

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:24 pm

pitted bore wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote: ... The following loads are not recommended especially for a single shot. Strongly caution to reduce this load for single shot/bolt action rifles.
230 grain FMJ flat points (Hornady)
44.5 Gr LilGun with a taper crimp and LSC.
See range report stickied in the reloading topics for these loads.
Three shot string then I stopped due to extreme pressure signs.
2636 FPS
2490 FPS
2731 FPS :o
AVG 2619 FPS
ES 241.6
SD 121.3
I will probably be backing these down about 3 grains. The pressure signs on that 2731 were spooky and the shell didn't want to extract. ...


T.S.D.-
You have been working with the Hornady FMJ-Flat Nose bullet #45187 if I've read this and your previous notes correctly. It looks like Hornady suspended production of this bullet in 2013 and has yet to resume production. I cannot find these bullets listed for sale at any of the usual outlets.

I plan to start working soon with 230-grain jacketed bullets in my 450B bolt rifle. I'd like to try to follow your examples, attempting to duplicate velocity and terminal performance. That will be difficult without the Hornady FMJ-FN. It's pretty certain that other 230-grain FMJ bullets will respond differently due to variation between manufacturers in diameter and bearing surface area, among other factors.

I've found the following candidate bullets:
  • Nosler #44964 FMJ-FN
  • Magtech #BU45B FMJ-SWC
  • Hornady #45177 FMJ-RN
  • Speer #4480/4750 TMJ-RN
  • Sierra #8815 FMJ-RN
  • Magtech #BU45A FMJ-RN
  • Winchester #WB45MC230 FMJ-RN
Hollow-point, plated, coated, cast, or swaged bullets are not an option for trying to follow your work-up.

Which of the bullets on my list (or any others not listed) would you likely select if you had to start your 230-grain project again, given the unavailability of the Hornady FMJ-FN?

(Other knowledgeable persons should feel free to respond, of course.)

If this note is muddled, please post questions and I'll try to clarify.
Thanks.
--Bob


Bob, I've shot quite a few of those Noslers on paper with the AR platform, solid 1 1/2" day in, day out. They are on my to try list in the bolt gun once I get around to it.
Al in Mi
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:24 am

Re: The New England Style Single Shot 450 Bushmaster.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:42 pm

pitted bore wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote: ... The following loads are not recommended especially for a single shot. Strongly caution to reduce this load for single shot/bolt action rifles.
230 grain FMJ flat points (Hornady)
44.5 Gr LilGun with a taper crimp and LSC.
See range report stickied in the reloading topics for these loads.
Three shot string then I stopped due to extreme pressure signs.
2636 FPS
2490 FPS
2731 FPS :o
AVG 2619 FPS
ES 241.6
SD 121.3
I will probably be backing these down about 3 grains. The pressure signs on that 2731 were spooky and the shell didn't want to extract. ...


T.S.D.-
You have been working with the Hornady FMJ-Flat Nose bullet #45187 if I've read this and your previous notes correctly. It looks like Hornady suspended production of this bullet in 2013 and has yet to resume production. I cannot find these bullets listed for sale at any of the usual outlets.

I plan to start working soon with 230-grain jacketed bullets in my 450B bolt rifle. I'd like to try to follow your examples, attempting to duplicate velocity and terminal performance. That will be difficult without the Hornady FMJ-FN. It's pretty certain that other 230-grain FMJ bullets will respond differently due to variation between manufacturers in diameter and bearing surface area, among other factors.

I've found the following candidate bullets:
  • Nosler #44964 FMJ-FN
  • Magtech #BU45B FMJ-SWC
  • Hornady #45177 FMJ-RN
  • Speer #4480/4750 TMJ-RN
  • Sierra #8815 FMJ-RN
  • Magtech #BU45A FMJ-RN
  • Winchester #WB45MC230 FMJ-RN
Hollow-point, plated, coated, cast, or swaged bullets are not an option for trying to follow your work-up.

Which of the bullets on my list (or any others not listed) would you likely select if you had to start your 230-grain project again, given the unavailability of the Hornady FMJ-FN?

(Other knowledgeable persons should feel free to respond, of course.)

If this note is muddled, please post questions and I'll try to clarify.
Thanks.
--Bob

I would go with the MagTechs first......
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 3966
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: The New England Style Single Shot 450 Bushmaster.

Postby pitted bore » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:58 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I would go with the MagTechs first or the Speer #4480/4750 TMJ-RN

T.S.D.-
Your replying promptly is really helpful. Of the two MagTech's listed, which one do you think might be better to start with, the FMJ-RN or the SWC? Availability of the SWC is spotty, but I might be able to come up with some. The RN is easier to find.

Thanks!
--Bob
User avatar
pitted bore
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: The U.P.'s U.P.

Re: The New England Style Single Shot 450 Bushmaster.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:12 pm

pitted bore wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I would go with the MagTechs first or the Speer #4480/4750 TMJ-RN

T.S.D.-
Your replying promptly is really helpful. Of the two MagTech's listed, which one do you think might be better to start with, the FMJ-RN or the SWC? Availability of the SWC is spotty, but I might be able to come up with some. The RN is easier to find.

Thanks!
--Bob


My Philosophy is go after the harder to find one IF you find it actually in stock. You can go after the easier one at your leisure.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 3966
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: The New England Style Single Shot 450 Bushmaster.

Postby kottke_35 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:36 pm

DONT go with the Speer TMJ. I tried them and had hang fires due to neck tension issues. These are not FMJ bullets.

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:49 am
Location: North metro Colorado

Re: The New England Style Single Shot 450 Bushmaster.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:07 pm

kottke_35 wrote:DONT go with the Speer TMJ. I tried them and had hang fires due to neck tension issues. These are not FMJ bullets.

B.

Thanx for the heads up. Will edit my response.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 3966
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Previous

Return to Bolt Action Rifles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest