New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

Postby Can0n11 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:04 pm

I made the 3.5 hour trip up to Randy's on Saturday and picked up a nice 16" 450 Bushmaster. Nice friendly service. There were at least 4 of the same guns heading out the door behind me....
Can0n11

Postby Can0n11 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:54 am

Double posted this in error.
Last edited by Can0n11 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can0n11

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:30 am

Mine is on the way. :lol:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby bullnose » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:13 pm

I successfully fought the urge to get one of these, but that was made easier due to the fact I found a deal on an M&P shield I couldn't pass up. Thus I somewhat convincingly argued to the wife I had actually just saved us money. Oddly enough I think she agreed with my logic...

If I really have to have one I'll wait until after the season when the demand dies down a bit. That way I'll have until next fall to get multiple rounds downrange and get to know the rifle better before hitting the woods with it.

I'm looking forward to hearing the hunting stories and how you guys do with yours this season. Good luck!
Never give the devil a ride, 'cuz pretty soon he'll want to drive.
bullnose

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Let us know how you like yours!

B.

Can0n11 wrote:I made the 3.5 hour trip up to Randy's on Saturday and picked up a nice 16" 450 Bushmaster. Nice friendly service. There were at least 4 of the same guns heading out the door behind me....
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:18 pm

I shot mine today. It's very nice. I almost had it sighted in but realized that my rings are too high. I have the vertical turret turned up as high as it will go and I'm hitting about two inches low at 100 yards. So I need to reevaluate my scope and rings choice. The scope is only a 1.5-6 X 36, but the rings are super high. I may have some shorter rings laying around so I may try that. But at 100 yards plus, the power is just not cutting it.
On a different note, We went hog hunting tonight again. Had a huge herd out at about 250 yards and there were several very nice sized hogs in the group. But about the time they came out into the field, I almost got plowed over by something that ran up behind me. It was pretty big, like a calf, but all I heard was pounding hooves it got the other guy's attention but by the time they got lights on, it had suddenly turned, missing me and was moving so fast that he never did identify whether it was livestock a deer or a huge hog. When I heard it coming up behind me, I froze because it was pitch black with no moon. I was sitting in a Chair using shooting sticks. I swept the FLIR around but all I saw was the herd across the field. So after we recomposed ourselves, my uncle came over and whispered for me to use the hog call. Bad mistake. They heard it, froze up then retreated back into the brush.
I got some FLIR video again though.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:00 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I shot mine today. It's very nice. I almost had it sighted in but realized that my rings are too high. I have the vertical turret turned up as high as it will go and I'm hitting about two inches low at 100 yards. So I need to reevaluate my scope and rings choice. The scope is only a 1.5-6 X 36, but the rings are super high. I may have some shorter rings laying around so I may try that. But at 100 yards plus, the power is just not cutting it.
On a different note, We went hog hunting tonight again. Had a huge herd out at about 250 yards and there were several very nice sized hogs in the group. But about the time they came out into the field, I almost got plowed over by something that ran up behind me. It was pretty big, like a calf, but all I heard was pounding hooves it got the other guy's attention but by the time they got lights on, it had suddenly turned, missing me and was moving so fast that he never did identify whether it was livestock a deer or a huge hog. When I heard it coming up behind me, I froze because it was pitch black with no moon. I was sitting in a Chair using shooting sticks. I swept the FLIR around but all I saw was the herd across the field. So after we recomposed ourselves, my uncle came over and whispered for me to use the hog call. Bad mistake. They heard it, froze up then retreated back into the brush.
I got some FLIR video again though.

Not familiar with the RAR, but if the front and rear rings are symmetrical, try swapping them. Also, I'm a big fan of Burris Signature Zee rings. You can get them with offset inserts up to 20 MOA IIRC. I have a Savage Model 12 that came from the factory shooting lower than it should many years ago. Not wishing to return it for a different one, I was able to use them to offset the POI error. Been rock solid ever since.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: 450b Bolt Action Rifle Picture Thread.

Postby FDE » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Al in Mi wrote:Kottke, looking forward to a report.

looks like the muzzle threaded??

he happen to say what twist?

Didn't see where anyone answered these questions so I called Randy and asked.
Yes muzzle is factory threaded on the 16" barrelled guns he currently has. The thread is a 11/16" - 24tpi and they come with a thread protector.
Twist rate is 1:16" - should be plenty for even the heaviest of 45 cal bullets.
He also mentioned getting sub moa groups out to 300 yards with "several" of these guns using factory Hornady 250gr ammunition. Of course he didn't say you could expect that from every example of these budget bolt guns but you might get lucky.
Stainless models are in the works but not available until next year.
FDE

Postby bullnose » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:35 pm

FDE wrote: Stainless models are in the works but not available until next year.

I'm glad I fought the urge for now as I prefer stainless. I can't wait to get my hands on one of those!
Never give the devil a ride, 'cuz pretty soon he'll want to drive.
bullnose

Postby Thom28 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:29 pm

bullnose wrote:
FDE wrote: Stainless models are in the works but not available until next year.

I'm glad I fought the urge for now as I prefer stainless. I can't wait to get my hands on one of those!

Me too!
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles