New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

Postby Pig_Popper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:13 am

spartan123 wrote:New to this forum. Just got in a Ruger American 450BM 22" SS , running a Redfield Revenge 2-7x34mm 4-Plex Scope.

Finished getting everything setup today. hope to go to the range tomorrow or next day.

It'd be great if you could somehow track velocity out of the 22" barrel with factory loads...

I thought about that model but it is soooo long...

Send an update and welcome to the board
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:14 pm

spartan123 wrote:New to this forum. Just got in a Ruger American 450BM 22" SS , running a Redfield Revenge 2-7x34mm 4-Plex Scope.

Finished getting everything setup today. hope to go to the range tomorrow or next day.

Welcome to our electronic campfire!! Be sure to post some pics!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby lechwe » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Was at Randy's this morning and left with a 22" stainless topped with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3i CDS. Can't wait to get it to the range. I'm really impressed with the trigger on it. The bolt is pretty rough but a little polishing should help that.

Haven't shot it yet but I'm told the 22" is about 80 ft/s slower than the 16". I plan to handload so that won't be an issue.
lechwe

Postby Hoot » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:06 pm

lechwe wrote:Was at Randy's this morning and left with a 22" stainless topped with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3i CDS. Can't wait to get it to the range. I'm really impressed with the trigger on it. The bolt is pretty rough but a little polishing should help that.

Haven't shot it yet but I'm told the 22" is about 80 ft/s slower than the 16". I plan to handload so that won't be an issue.

Welcome Aboard OM;

I doubt that the bolt actions performs any differently WRT barrel length than our semi-autos, where the longer the barrel, the faster they fly. At least that's what happens with a 1:24 twist. If I were in the market for one of those 450b Bolt Action Rugers, I'd have bought the same model you did. We look forward to hearing how it shoots for you.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:03 am

lechwe wrote:Was at Randy's this morning and left with a 22" stainless topped with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3i CDS. Can't wait to get it to the range. I'm really impressed with the trigger on it. The bolt is pretty rough but a little polishing should help that.

Couple of buds have offered their 16" and 22" guns for speed testing once the weather warms up some. I doubt the 22" will be slower, I'm guessing 80-100fps faster, but we shall see.
Al in Mi

Postby MarkCO » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:06 am

Hoot wrote:

Welcome Aboard OM;

I doubt that the bolt actions performs any differently WRT barrel length than our semi-autos, where the longer the barrel, the faster they fly. At least that's what happens with a 1:24 twist. If I were in the market for one of those 450b Bolt Action Rugers, I'd have bought the same model you did. We look forward to hearing how it shoots for you.

Hoot

With the common powders, all the calcs I have done are consistent with the 22" being overkill and not much benefit over a 16", if at all. But when you go to a slower powder or increase the pressure, you can do a LOT with a longer barrel in a 450BM. Remember that the AR15 pattern 450BMs are slowed down from the original Professional a little and well under max pressure for the parent case. This was due to keeping the case in the chamber long enough until the pressure has dropped for reliable extraction...and the lunacy of the carbine gas system with this cartridge. In my .450Corvette, I am about 10Kpsi over the normal 405BM and pushing heavier bullets faster. Bolt guns just let you do so easier...and cheaper.

With a MOR, no gas system operating parameters to worry about, you can well outperform a gas gun with equal barrel lengths and still be safe. But t
MarkCO

Postby lechwe » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Got to the range this afternoon and did some shooting. Temperature was 27 with a very light if any wind. Here are the last two shots.
A 9 shot average came out to be 2116fps. Pretty happy with the gun so far. Looking forward to getting dies and seeing what I can do with it.
You_Doodle_2017-03-13T01_58_38Z.jpg
Edit
You_Doodle_2017-03-13T01_58_38Z.jpg (158.57 KiB) Viewed 13580 times

Post edited to remove malicious link by moderator Texas Sheepdawg retrieved picture from siteand reposted. Per -TXSD
lechwe

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:01 pm

lechwe wrote:Got to the range this afternoon and did some shooting. Temperature was 27 with a very light if any wind. Here are the last two shots.
A 9 shot average came out to be 2116fps. Pretty happy with the gun so far. Looking forward to getting dies and seeing what I can do with it.
You_Doodle_2017-03-13T01_58_38Z.jpg

Post edited to remove malicious link by moderator Texas Sheepdawg retrieved picture from siteand reposted. Per -TXSD

I fixed it.... ;)
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:10 pm

lechwe wrote:Got to the range this afternoon and did some shooting. Temperature was 27 with a very light if any wind. Here are the last two shots.

For those of you who know, are all the 450b Ruger bolt actions 1:16 twist, including the 22 incher? I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that the 22" barrel turned out speeds a little less than what I've seen posted by members running shorter, semi-auto 1:24 rigs. Now ball powders are infamous for tracking temperatures both up and down, so that could be the issue. That having been said and assuming they're all 1:16, then perhaps the faster twist takes a toll on longer barrels. Does not compute! Image However, that's the first documented example I've ever seen in this caliber of factory loads below 2200 fps in a non-carbine length barrel. I never shot a 450b load that was chronied in warm weather, once it got below freezing since I'm not found on a range below about 45 degrees.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Hoot wrote:

For those of you who know, are all the 450b Ruger bolt actions 1:16 twist, including the 22 incher? I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that the 22" barrel turned out speeds a little less than what I've seen posted by members running shorter, semi-auto 1:24 rigs. Now ball powders are infamous for tracking temperatures both up and down, so that could be the issue. That having been said and assuming they're all 1:16, then perhaps the faster twist takes a toll on longer barrels. Does not compute! Image However, that's the first documented example I've ever seen in this caliber of factory loads below 2200 fps in a non-carbine length barrel. I never shot a 450b load that was chronied in warm weather, once it got below freezing since I'm not found on a range below about 45 degrees.

Hoot

Yes Hoot. 1:16. I love mine!!! But mine is the 16". But the 22" is also 1:16.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles