New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

Postby Cryptoman » Sun May 07, 2017 11:51 am

Had a chance to shoot my RAR this morning. This thing kicks! Must be the light weight. I feel sorry for you folks who don't have a muzzle brake. ;) It only took 2 shots to get the scope dialed in. However, after 4 rounds I started having trouble closing the bolt (on Hornady factory ammo). Out of precaution, I decided to pack it up and take the rifle home for a closer look. I think what happened is the ejector plunger got sticky, possibly because I spilled cleaning solvent on the action when I was degreasing the scope ring mounting threads. I lubricated the bolt parts, and everything seems to be working fine again. The two accuracy shots I did manage to get in were within 1 MOA of each other, so I'm guardedly optimistic that this is going to be a good shooter.
Cryptoman

Postby Hoot » Sun May 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Cryptoman wrote:Had a chance to shoot my RAR this morning. This thing kicks! Must be the light weight. I feel sorry for you folks who don't have a muzzle brake. ;) It only took 2 shots to get the scope dialed in. However, after 4 rounds I started having trouble closing the bolt (on Hornady factory ammo). Out of precaution, I decided to pack it up and take the rifle home for a closer look. I think what happened is the ejector plunger got sticky, possibly because I spilled cleaning solvent on the action when I was degreasing the scope ring mounting threads. I lubricated the bolt parts, and everything seems to be working fine again. The two accuracy shots I did manage to get in were within 1 MOA of each other, so I'm guardedly optimistic that this is going to be a good shooter.

Not to be "Debbie Downer" or anything but I do not understand the sudden inrush of bolt action 450b fans when you can get it in an autoloader. I have a Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag. It's no big deal to run through 10 or more shots in a sitting. My coworker has a synthetic stocked Savage 110 in 300 Win Mag. I helped him zero his scope. I took 2 shots and said "it's all yours buddy!" I couldn't get over the difference in the recoil and no it was not just perceived recoil. I have my share of bolt action rifles and love each of them them dearly. Even though I could convert one to 450b, I have no interest in it. My autoloading 450b is a pleasure to shoot. I like that relationship. I've burned through three or four load workup experiments in one sitting off of a BR rest. A total of 100 rounds over the course of several hours and left no worse for wear and tear. I hazard a guess that it would not be the same from a lightweight synthetic stocked bolt action rifle.

That having been said, I will be the first to stand up and say to each his own. I love the look and feel of real wood as much as the next guy, but a steel, aluminum and plastic AR class rifle is not a turn off. Its just a Modern Sporting Rifle.
I will butt out now. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby winman1550 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:20 pm

I have to agree just as far as an autoloader to a bolt action. For all my life in Mich. I really didn't need a big bolt rifle. Only 22's. The only one I did own -- 300WM I bought for out west Mule
Deer hunting. That did have a muzzle brake from Oakland Gunsmithing. I could and did shoot darn near all day long at Family Shooters Corral with a tee shirt on as long as the ear protection
held out. But to be honest I hate bolt actions for hunting. At least where I live. I've got my stand by 11-87 slug gun that I've had for 15yrs and love the recoil.( I know it's weird). When we could use strait wall cartridges
I went with a Ruger 44 Carbine. Then I found you guys here and had to have a 450 AR. Was out shooting today and went thru 5 boxes in less than 25 min. The recoil is nothing and having not to jack a bolt back and forth is great. As hoot said to each their own but I'd put the accuracy of my autoloaders up against anyone of my friends bolts any day. I can get 5 shots with my 450 inside an 1 1/2inches pulling the trigger as fast as it will shoot at 150 yards. That I can live with.
winman1550

Postby Al in Mi » Mon May 08, 2017 5:01 am

My 2 cents worth, the RAR is a new toy and will get you "in the game" at least $100-125 cheaper than buying a factory 450B upper and if you need a lower, tack on that added cost.

EBR's and new toys peak my interest to no end, and I have resisted the urge to jump into a RAR only because I have a very neglected 700 in 450B to wring out let alone a couple of other customs that need a fine tune....................but that Ruger #1 is making me loose sleep!!!!

That being said, I for one really enjoy reading the reports you guys have been turning in on your new 450's whether they are RAR's, Scouts, AR's, single shots, or custom builds, keep them coming!!!!
Al in Mi

Postby mwalters » Mon May 08, 2017 6:09 am

Range report: Got my RAR Thumper out to the range on Saturday. Had a little trouble getting on paper at 50 yards. The scope I used came off my RAR 223, so I (mistakenly) thought it would at least be on paper. Wasted a few shots there. Finally got it close at 50, so then proceeded to shoot a 3 round group at 100yds - 3/4" - very nice! Shot a lot more trying to fine tune it to 2.5" high at 100. Also, reconfirmed zero of my AR Thumper - man, what a difference in recoil! Between the two guns, I went through 2 boxes of Hornady ammo. My shoulder is wrecked! I even attempted to re-zero my Ruger American .270 - shot 3 rounds and gave up. My shoulder just couldn't take it anymore.
mwalters

Postby Thom28 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:47 am

Al in Mi wrote:My 2 cents worth, the RAR is a new toy and will get you "in the game" at least $100-125 cheaper than buying a factory 450B upper and if you need a lower, tack on that added cost.

EBR's and new toys peak my interest to no end, and I have resisted the urge to jump into a RAR only because I have a very neglected 700 in 450B to wring out let alone a couple of other customs that need a fine tune....................but that Ruger #1 is making me loose sleep!!!!

That being said, I for one really enjoy reading the reports you guys have been turning in on your new 450's whether they are RAR's, Scouts, AR's, single shots, or custom builds, keep them coming!!!!

A LGS has a No1 450bm in stock for $1399. If I didn't already have the AR and the GSS in 450, I would be on that one. In regards to recoil, before getting the GSS, I had a 22" stainless RAR without the muzzle brake. The recoil was bad. I ended up selling that to my nephew and purchased the GSS. With the muzzle brake they have on that rifle, I have to say the recoil is about the same as my AR if not less.
I prefer a rifle with a wood stock over the synthetic. But my AR will be my go to deer hunting rifle.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Hoot » Mon May 08, 2017 7:51 am

There's a couple of 450b Ruger #1's in open, no reserve, bidding on GB right now. :twisted:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Cryptoman » Mon May 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Hoot wrote:Not to be "Debbie Downer" or anything but I do not understand the sudden inrush of bolt action 450b fans when you can get it in an autoloader. I have a Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag. It's no big deal to run through 10 or more shots in a sitting. My coworker has a synthetic stocked Savage 110 in 300 Win Mag. I helped him zero his scope. I took 2 shots and said "it's all yours buddy!" I couldn't get over the difference in the recoil and no it was not just perceived recoil. I have my share of bolt action rifles and love each of them them dearly. Even though I could convert one to 450b, I have no interest in it. My autoloading 450b is a pleasure to shoot. I like that relationship. I've burned through three or four load workup experiments in one sitting off of a BR rest. A total of 100 rounds over the course of several hours and left no worse for wear and tear. I hazard a guess that it would not be the same from a lightweight synthetic stocked bolt action rifle.

That having been said, I will be the first to stand up and say to each his own. I love the look and feel of real wood as much as the next guy, but a steel, aluminum and plastic AR class rifle is not a turn off. Its just a Modern Sporting Rifle.
I will butt out now. ;)

Hoot

I bought the Ruger American for a couple of reasons. 1) I have never owned a Ruger American and wanted to compare and contrast it firsthand with my Ruger 77 rifles. 2) I wanted to learn what the limits of the 450b cartridge are, at both ends of the loading range, without worrying about whether it would properly cycle the action or beat up the BCG. Your point about felt recoil is well taken, though. Truth be told, I'm much more recoil sensitive in rifles than I am in handguns. I can shoot a .445 Supermag Contender all day long, but even a .223 bolt gun gets annoying after about 20 rounds without some form of recoil mitigation.
Cryptoman

Postby Big Old Boy » Mon May 08, 2017 5:32 pm

I have many bolt and single shot rifles I do not like or want an auto that's why I have a few Ruger Americans.
Big Old Boy

Postby Lyman » Tue May 09, 2017 4:59 am

The laws in NY for a AR are crazy. We can't have a pistol grip on a a AR. Some of us have no choice, bolt is the only way to go.
Lyman

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles