New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

Postby winman1550 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Just a question as to why one would want a silencer on the 450? I went over to Silencerco site and saw where the msrp for the hybrid was $999. I know guys will doodad up their cars with aftermarket parts for instance but I just wondered the thought of a silencer on a big bore????

To each their own and not criticizing anyone. Just wondering about the reasoning of need and cost.
It could be like I ask my kids " Is it a need or a want" when they come to me for something.

Not trying to offend, just curious

Greg
winman1550

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:28 am

Man. Seriously. It is light. And so what's the down side to that? Put a brake and scope on and you can carry this great little rifle into some pretty harsh environments and NOT be loaded down with a 10 pound rifle. I'm sorry. I don't see a down side to the weight of this rifle once you've put a brake on it.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Zkovach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Man. Seriously. It is light. And so what's the down side to that? Put a brake and scope on and you can carry this great little rifle into some pretty harsh environments and NOT be loaded down with a 10 pound rifle. I'm sorry. I don't see a down side to the weight of this rifle once you've put a brake on it.

Your right it would definitely need a brake. I think I really didn't like the stock size and length of barrel. For instance I had a marlin guide gun lever 45-70. The gun was flawless but it was so small that it was uncomfortable and I never grouped well I believe because of that. Honestly I'd go for the 22" and hope to swap the stock out with a Boyd's, hs precision etc...

Again simply my personal preference butt again hats off to Randy's and ruger for going Out of the box!
Zkovach

Postby Zkovach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm

winman1550 wrote:Just a question as to why one would want a silencer on the 450? I went over to Silencerco site and saw where the msrp for the hybrid was $999. I know guys will doodad up their cars with aftermarket parts for instance but I just wondered the thought of a silencer on a big bore????

To each their own and not criticizing anyone. Just wondering about the reasoning of need and cost.
It could be like I ask my kids " Is it a need or a want" when they come to me for something.

Not trying to offend, just curious

Greg

Again that's a personal preference you can brake it quite inexpensivley but add a lot of decibels. I've bought many things for many guns that weren't truly needed but did it anyway. Almost every gun I own has an aftermarket trigger cause I'm picky about that for example...
Zkovach

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Zkovach wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Man. Seriously. It is light. And so what's the down side to that? Put a brake and scope on and you can carry this great little rifle into some pretty harsh environments and NOT be loaded down with a 10 pound rifle. I'm sorry. I don't see a down side to the weight of this rifle once you've put a brake on it.

Your right it would definitely need a brake. I think I really didn't like the stock size and length of barrel. For instance I had a marlin guide gun lever 45-70. The gun was flawless but it was so small that it was uncomfortable and I never grouped well I believe because of that. Honestly I'd go for the 22" and hope to swap the stock out with a Boyd's, hs precision etc...

Again simply my personal preference butt again hats off to Randy's and ruger for going Out of the box!

Well, I can attest that the break that ROSS SCHULER made for me a few weeks ago has turned that 20 gage recoil into the recoil of a 410 Bore. I am absolutely in love with this rifle. And as soon as I can get some time, I'm going to put my Zeus thermal scope on that rascal and take it for a pig hunt one night. Who knows, I might have video by then.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Zkovach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Zkovach wrote:

Well, I can attest that the break that ROSS SCHULER made for me a few weeks ago has turned that 20 gage recoil into the recoil of a 410 Bore. I am absolutely in love with this rifle. And as soon as I can get some time, I'm going to put my Zeus thermal scope on that rascal and take it for a pig hunt one night. Who knows, I might have video by then.

Take a pic of the brake attached, I'd like to see it
Zkovach

Postby winman1550 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:43 pm

With the recoil of a 20ga. the need for a brake seems to be not needed unless you like the extra noise. I mean really, a 20ga. don't kick. Being from Michigan, I've spent hours sitting at the bench shooting my 11-87 scoping in for deer season. 20-30 3"mag rounds in a session. Now that's recoil. For me it never was a problem. I'm 5'7" 180. The 450 does not come close to that. I do understand where there might be some people not able to handle the recoil of a 20ga and need a brake. The thing that surprised me above the brake was the $900 silencer. Sniper gun, 22 rifle or pistol, ok but a 450? Sheepdog, you confused me with the 10 pound rifle comment. I would never complain about a light rifle. But what is the correlation between that (10lb rifle ) and putting a brake and $900 silencer on a gun that weighs 5.5lbs and has the recoil of a 20ga? Sheepdog, I do enjoy your videos! Keep'em coming! Like I said earlier, not trying to start **** just wondering the thought process.

Thanks as always and happy shooting,

Greg
winman1550

Postby Hoot » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:55 am

In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Well, I can attest that the break that ROSS SCHULER made for me a few weeks ago has turned that 20 gage recoil into the recoil of a 410 Bore. I am absolutely in love with this rifle. And as soon as I can get some time, I'm going to put my Zeus thermal scope on that rascal and take it for a pig hunt one night. Who knows, I might have video by then.[/quote]

Zkovach wrote:Take a pic of the brake attached, I'd like to see it

IMG_6700.JPG
ROSS 4 Gill
IMG_6700.JPG (2.48 MiB) Viewed 12658 times
Attachments
robins_brake.jpg
Resized ROSS 4 GILL
robins_brake.jpg (172.45 KiB) Viewed 12650 times
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:58 pm

winman1550 wrote:With the recoil of a 20ga. the need for a brake seems to be not needed unless you like the extra noise. I mean really, a 20ga. don't kick. Being from Michigan, I've spent hours sitting at the bench shooting my 11-87 scoping in for deer season. 20-30 3"mag rounds in a session. Now that's recoil. For me it never was a problem. I'm 5'7" 180. The 450 does not come close to that. I do understand where there might be some people not able to handle the recoil of a 20ga and need a brake. The thing that surprised me above the brake was the $900 silencer. Sniper gun, 22 rifle or pistol, ok but a 450? Sheepdog, you confused me with the 10 pound rifle comment. I would never complain about a light rifle. But what is the correlation between that (10lb rifle ) and putting a brake and $900 silencer on a gun that weighs 5.5lbs and has the recoil of a 20ga? Sheepdog, I do enjoy your videos! Keep'em coming! Like I said earlier, not trying to start **** just wondering the thought process.

Thanks as always and happy shooting,

Greg

Greg.
Here lately, my body doesn't tolerate certain things. Not sure if you know but I'll just say this, I'm fighting cancer and I tend to be in pain just by existing. All I can suggest is that you shoot my rifle without the brake and tell me what you think.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles