New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New Ruger American Rifle in 450 Bushmaster.

Postby Zkovach » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks for the brake picture! That's quite sexy!
Zkovach

Postby hunter5567 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:47 am

I bought a Hybrid Silencer and a Spectre II .22 silencer before the rules changed and I could put them in a trust without all the fingerprinting, passport pictures, etc.
I bought the Hybrid specifically because it can be used from 5.56 to .458 and magnum rifle calibers and it can be used on pistols also such as 9mm, .40, 45, etc.
I'm not going to buy a bunch of silencers and wanted only 2 that i can use for all applications. Anyways it works good on the 450 Bushmaster and a buddy uses his on an Encore 45-70 rifle that was threaded. WIth 405 gr lead at 1050fps, the bullet strike is louder than report and it penetrated an 8" pine tree.
I'll probably use it more on my Sig 556R 7.62x39, Ruger .308 Predator, AR15 6.8 SPCII, and AR15 5.56 rifles. The ACR mount and ACR muzzlebrake on sale cost about as much as the muzzlebrake offered at Randy's gun store and the silencer itself acts as a muzzlebrake and reduces recoil. The recoil of the 450 is not bad at all especially after a scope is added and this is one of the most accurate calibers I've shot and easy to get sighten in. I just reloaded some Hornady 250gr FTX bullets using 39grs H110 powder and at 50 yards, 3 shots went into one large hole and shot to the same group as the factory loads.
The new Ruger rifles that Ruger is producing have a muzzlebrake on them already.

I shot a 200lb wild boar with it last weekend and dropped it at the shot at about 75 yards. Frontal head shot that exited in front of the left ham and dropped it on the spot.
hunter5567

Postby Siringo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:05 pm

I recently ordered and just received a brake from Ross. Same one and setup as Sheepdawg's. Had to get out and shoot it today even though it is -10 degrees. Using Factory ammo, I put 4 shots in a group of 0.60 inches at 100 yards. The Ruger American Ranch shoots better than my Bushmaster AR. But one inch versus 1/2 inch groups ---- moot point.

Shooting a 5.5# gun in this caliber is more robust than the AR --- but tolerable (there is at least a 3# difference). I noted at the bench that the rifle would come back sharply, hit my hat bill and muzzle jump a couple of inches. Even standing, the gun would have a tendency to jump from my forend grip unless it was FIRMLY held. The Ross Brake eliminated the push back on the bench to a degree that my hat bill did not get hit by the scope. The muzzle rise was nill. Standing - the rifle would not jump my moderate grip. All in all --- there is a reduction in the recoil and muzzle flip. Would I hunt with the brake on --- probably not. For $35.00 though, you can't go wrong!!!!!

Oh -- and I did were ear plugs -- you could tell it was louder with a tiny slap to the face from the blast.

One more caveat --- the rifle was previous sighted in for 100 yards with factory ammo. With the brake --- elevation stayed the same, but the grouped move 1 inch to the left.
Siringo

Postby Pig_Popper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm

I wonder what sort of word is circulating at SHOT show on this new Ruger offering...
I Smell Bacon
Pig_Popper

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Pig_Popper wrote:I wonder what sort of word is circulating at SHOT show on this new Ruger offering...

Me too.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby coyote wacker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:12 am

Pig_Popper wrote:I wonder what sort of word is circulating at SHOT show on this new Ruger offering...

hoping left hand versions.......
coyote wacker

Postby MarkCO » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:03 pm

It was on the rack on the Ruger booth. Word is $400 street price, and normal cataloged item. It is LIGHT. Glad the magazine is single stack and not the rotary. I doubt most people even knew what it was. In the 20 minutes I was in the booth, 1 other person picked it up. Most of the guns were getting picked up once every 2 or 3 minutes.

I do think I will pick one up and sell off my .444 Marlin barrel for my Encore.
MarkCO

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:42 pm

MarkCO wrote:

It was on the rack on the Ruger booth. Word is $400 street price, and normal cataloged item. It is LIGHT. Glad the magazine is single stack and not the rotary. I doubt most people even knew what it was. In the 20 minutes I was in the booth, 1 other person picked it up. Most of the guns were getting picked up once every 2 or 3 minutes.

I do think I will pick one up and sell off my .444 Marlin barrel for my Encore.

I love mine. It's sitting right here next to the bed ready to go.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Dino2575 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Another vote for a left hand model..d
Dino2575

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Dino2575 wrote:Another vote for a left hand model..d

Well. You better get in touch with Randy before he runs out of them.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles