What kind of stock are you using

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

What kind of stock are you using

Postby Mdhart79 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:29 pm

Building a savage 10 with 20" mcgowen barrel. Barrel should be done next week and looking for stock options. Should I wait for barrel before I order or trust it is the varment contour as told? Wood vs synthetic or hogue?
Mdhart79

Re: What kind of stock are you using

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:16 am

I like the feel of the Hogues, the Apache barrel on my 700 was a drop in.

Boyd has wood, easy enough to open up.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:47 am

While nothing rivals a nice looking piece of select hardwood, laminates can be easy on the eye and much more stable in hunting weather. Aside from the black rifles I own, I do not have any BA's with composite stocks. Wait, I take that back. My single shot rimfire BR rig has a laminate stock, but it came that way from the factory.

I'm a big fan of Savage. I have multiple Model 12s and additional barrels for swapping calibers. They all wear thumbhole laminate stocks. More ergonomic.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby kenn1320 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Dad swapped his factory stock for a Boyd's thumb hole. Totally changes the look.
kenn1320

Postby Hoot » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:08 am

kenn1320 wrote:Dad swapped his factory stock for a Boyd's thumb hole. Totally changes the look.

I have three of those in different calibers. Love the fit. Must make that 450b barreled action look like someone cut some of it off since the stock is so long. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to Bolt Action Rifles