Word on the street is Savage is coming out with a 450 BM

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Word on the street is Savage is coming out with a 450 BM

Postby engineer40 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Chatting with a fellow in a gun shop today, he let me know that Savage is coming out with a 450 BM bolt action to compete with the Ruger. He said it will be available later this year. I'm not sure where he got his information from. Hopefully he heard from a legit source and not just rumors. I'd love for this cartridge to become more mainstream and hence, better supported from additional manufacturers!

Anybody else heard this yet?
engineer40

Re: Word on the street is Savage is coming out with a 450 BM

Postby plant_one » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:37 pm

i cant say i've heard it, but it makes sense.

there were a few guys here buying the savage 12fv's .308's last summer and screwing 450bm barrels on them. the saginaw cabela's said they had a guy coming in every few weeks and getting another to build when they were on sale. with that newerish barrel nut system they use, from what i understand a barrel swap is almost as simple as doing an AR. New barrel & a Set of headspace gauges and your 308 is now a 450.

Seems like a no brainer, especially for the markets where the 450 bm fits into that "pistol caliber carbine" hunting niche :)
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:29 am

that would be great.

The "wants" side of my brain says go buy a Ruger, the "needs" side says you don't really need one :o :shock:
Al in Mi

Postby Colohunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:25 am

They have a hog hunter model with a 20" barrel, which comes threaded for a brake. That would be a good fit.
Colohunter

Postby coyote wacker » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 am

In October sent a email to Savage.....received this reply end of January......

We would like to provide an update regarding your recent idea submission to the Savage Arms Innovation Portal. Your submission is currently being reviewed by the Savage Arms Innovation Team, however, due to a recent increase in the amount of submissions received, this initial review may take up to 90 days.

If we are interested in learning more you'll receive a second email that will advise you of next steps.
We encourage you to continue visiting the site and thank you for your interest in innovating with Savage Arms.

Regards,
Savage Arms Innovation Team

Haven't received a second reply.....lol
coyote wacker

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:37 am

personally I'd want it with a clip..........................but that's the "wants" side of me talking!!!!
Al in Mi

Postby engineer40 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 am

plant_one wrote:i cant say i've heard it, but it makes sense.

there were a few guys here buying the savage 12fv's .308's last summer and screwing 450bm barrels on them. the saginaw cabela's said they had a guy coming in every few weeks and getting another to build when they were on sale. with that newerish barrel nut system they use, from what i understand a barrel swap is almost as simple as doing an AR. New barrel & a Set of headspace gauges and your 308 is now a 450.

Seems like a no brainer, especially for the markets where the 450 bm fits into that "pistol caliber carbine" hunting niche :)

If I was going through the trouble of acquiring a 308 donor action, I'd probably just get the barrel chambered for 45 Raptor. I actually still think about doing this sometimes as I already have the Savage barrel wrench. So far I keep talking myself out of the project because it would be so redundant with big bore rifles I already own. But it is interesting to think about for us Michiganders to use in the Limited areas.
engineer40

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 am

I have a Pacnor blank and a Ruger 77 action that I was going to pair up into a 45 Raptor. I have the semi auto version, shoots great, but with the 458 and 500aimms, sorta ask myself why???
Al in Mi

Postby engineer40 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Al in Mi wrote:I have a Pacnor blank and a Ruger 77 action that I was going to pair up into a 45 Raptor. I have the semi auto version, shoots great, but with the 458 and 500aimms, sorta ask myself why???

I'd hate to be a deer living near you!

I had my heart set on a 45 Raptor on a semi auto 308 platform for a long time. Seemed like DPMS G1 was the main rifle people were starting with?
engineer40

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:00 pm

the 458 is still a virgin, never took the safety off last year.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14962 I've since swapped the scope with a 3-9 Leo VXR, but she's a sweetheart.
Al in Mi

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles