New Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in 450BM!

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: New Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in 450BM!

Postby Thom28 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Range Report On the Gunsite Scout 450BM;
I purchased the Scout Rifle at Randy's last Saturday. The fit and finish on this rifle is excellent. Checkering is sharp and crisp. Rifle fit me well. I did not have to put any extra "length of pull" extensions on. Rifle comes with a "Ruger Precision Rifle® Hybrid Muzzle Brake" and also includes a thread protector if you wish to remove the Muzzle Brake. I preferred to use the included Ruger Rings and mounted a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42mm scope on it. I did have to removed the tactical rail in order for the scope to fit properly. I called Ruger to find the thread size of the screws that held the tactical rail in place so I could purchase some filler screws and the Customer Service Representative stated she would send the filler screws free of charge.
I was able to get to the range this morning before the rain started. I set up at 30 yards to make sure it was "on paper". First shot was 1 1/2" to left and 1" low. After scope adjustment it was close to center. Moved to 100 yards. Below is the results at 100 yards.
First impressions:
1. There had been some on the forum who questioned if the productions guns would be as accurate as the rifles produced for Randy's. After this range session, I don't think there is any difference. I was using factory ammo and both my other 450BMs shoot better with my reloads but I didn't have any reloads to try today. I do believe with some extended range time the scope can be fine tuned for improved accuracy. But even if left alone, this will definitely kill any deer in Michigan.
2. The muzzle brake on this rifle does it's job and does it well. Recoil from this rifle was less than my HR 20 gauge slug gun.
3. Ruger did a great job in producing this rifle and Ruger's Customer Service is one of the best in the industry.
Hope this post helps anyone who has questions about this rifle.
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby PRKL8R » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Man what Hoot said about the scout oozing is true. Guess it penetrated my core. Bid on one a dealer in Kansas had on Gunbroker. Had no ideal I would win at 804 bucks. Sometimes you never know! ;) :D :D :D
"a citizenry armed with riles cannot be tyrannized." Jeff Cooper
PRKL8R

Postby mwalters » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:04 am

My local dealer just emailed me and said they have some scouts in - he quoted $896+tax for the price.
mwalters

Postby PRKL8R » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 am

Check out Gunbroker. com. Same dealer in Kansas has another listed. After I got mine Fri he sold another onSat for $805. This one is up to 550 or so.
PRKL8R

Postby PRKL8R » Sun May 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Been getting my GSS set-up. Realy nice piece. Ruger did a beautifull job. However, the oxide mag is stamped .308 making the feed lips a little tight for the .450 case. But maybe time and use will make them smoother. Now the hard part, getting the time to wring it out.
PRKL8R

Postby commander faschisto » Mon May 08, 2017 7:07 pm

You might ask Ruger what's up with the .308-stamped mag?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby PRKL8R » Sat May 13, 2017 8:01 pm

UPS delivered a box of goodies for the GSS yesterday. Plug screws for removed rail, a soft case. summit gunsling,and a 4 round polymer mag. The mag works much better than the oe. It loads easier and feeds better plus comes with dust cover. Had a Redfield 2x7 widefield that has always been dependable since '72 . Still clear so gonna try that first. Loaded some dummy rounds tonight to determine coal. Seated .01 off the lands the oal for Hornady 250 grain Monoflex is 2.445 Barnes 275 XPB is 2.464 and crimps at top of last drive ban. Will start low and work up load as the oal's are much longer than for the AR's limits. More to come. :D
PRKL8R

Postby Thom28 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:59 am

PRKL8R wrote:UPS delivered a box of goodies for the GSS yesterday. Plug screws for removed rail, a soft case. summit gunsling,and a 4 round polymer mag. The mag works much better than the oe. It loads easier and feeds better plus comes with dust cover. Had a Redfield 2x7 widefield that has always been dependable since '72 . Still clear so gonna try that first. Loaded some dummy rounds tonight to determine coal. Seated .01 off the lands the oal for Hornady 250 grain Monoflex is 2.445 Barnes 275 XPB is 2.464 and crimps at top of last drive ban. Will start low and work up load as the oal's are much longer than for the AR's limits. More to come. :D

Could you tell me where you got the polymer magazine & maybe post a link? Thanks

Thom
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby PRKL8R » Sun May 14, 2017 5:23 am

Thom, all the goodies came from Ruger. Go to Shop Ruger.com. I got the AI-precision style .308 5 rounder. It holds 4 .450's. At $40 its about half their steel but still genuine Ruger. They have 10 rounders and 3s. I assume the 10s to hold 8 .450s. If this one holds up I'll get more.
PRKL8R

Postby Al in Mi » Sun May 14, 2017 10:20 am

PRKL8R wrote:UPS delivered a box of goodies for the GSS yesterday. Plug screws for removed rail, a soft case. summit gunsling,and a 4 round polymer mag. The mag works much better than the oe. It loads easier and feeds better plus comes with dust cover. Had a Redfield 2x7 widefield that has always been dependable since '72 . Still clear so gonna try that first. Loaded some dummy rounds tonight to determine coal. Seated .01 off the lands the oal for Hornady 250 grain Monoflex is 2.445 Barnes 275 XPB is 2.464 and crimps at top of last drive ban. Will start low and work up load as the oal's are much longer than for the AR's limits. More to come. :D

450B chamber, as you can see .200 of freebore lets you seat bullets way out.

Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles