Ruger #1 in 450 Bushmaster

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Ruger #1 in 450 Bushmaster

Postby commander faschisto » Wed May 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Crap.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Bmt85 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 am

I was actually contemplating picking up a ruger #1, until I saw it was 1:10. WTH is wrong with them, the 1:16 they run in their other rifles is already overkill. I think someone either screwed up horribly or did it on purpose so that they could boast they get the fastest velocity with factory ammo. On top of that, I think they are charging too much for it. I'm not going to spend that kind of money to be a test rat, when I can build a complete AR and know it works. No thanks.
Bmt85

Postby Al in Mi » Thu May 11, 2017 5:07 am

Well guys it is indeed a 10 twist at least this one is. Why a 10t, dunno, asked Ruger and got a lawyer lined reply of nondisclosure yadda ydda ydda.

Soooooooo first impressions, cute lil thing, trigger decent, crisp and clean (haven't checked it for pull yet but would guess 4 or a bit under) fit and finish good, she's light for sure, need to weigh it.

Good news is, had my TCD semi retired buddy shoot some factory Hornady yesterday morning, couple 5 shot groups, 1 1/2" with out trying hard, my pet AR load of a 300gr XTP mag over heavy dose of 1680 shot a bit better with same POI, brake works good. No chrono data but when I get my Oehler back we'll will compare it to my 22" 16 twist 700 barrel as time allows. Not sure what I'll pick for bullets to try next, but 200gr and 275gr Barnes for sure and thinking Parker Match Hunters or some Kinetic Performance 300gr high BC pills. Hell I might size some 400-500gr 458's and try them eventually!!!

I wouldn't call this bad news but ejecting cases hit the safety as shown, been a issue with #1's for years and Ruger still has deaf ears to it. I'll probably file that tang back like everybody else does.

One other thing to note, this had to be the filthiest barrel I ever cleaned on a new out of the box gun. I thought Weatherbys were bad but this one topped them. I'd hate to guess the number of guys who fail to clean new barrels before shooting and grind that gunk back into it. Just something to keep guys.

Al in Mi

Postby Thom28 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:13 am

[quote="Hoot"]It is indeed 1:10 twist. Some engineer had his head up his butt and no one questioned him!
Hoot,
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Why would they change the rifling after they had such success with the 1/16 twist in their RAR barrels.
Just plain STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bmt85,
"I think they are charging too much for it. I'm not going to spend that kind of money to be a test rat.

I agree with both points of this statement. I think Ruger rushed production of the 450 to take advantage of it being a hot item and they wanted to get the No.1 on the market as quickly as possible with very little testing. It's my guess their thoughts were, "It's a No.1 and people will buy it no matter what."
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby Thom28 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:14 am

Made a trip to LGS yesterday to check out the No.1 and it followed me home. Fit and finish on this rifle is exceptional as they are on my other No.1s.
Last evening I mounted a 3-9x40 scope on it. It's a Swift scope and not the greatest but wanted to try the rifle out today.
As Al had stated, the bore was filthy. Once I got all the gunk out of it I took it to the range this morning. I fired a couple of foulers at 30 yards to make sure I was on paper.
Then moved to 100 yards range. First 2 shots were 6" high and 8" to the right. I adjusted the scope, next 3 shots were almost dead center. Group was 3/4" with all three holes touching. I was using factory ammo, the black box. The muzzle brake does it's job. I believe the recoil is less than that on my AR 450bm.
I would hope that this would put to rest any questions on how the 1/10 TR effects accuracy in this rifle.
First impressions, the added weight of the No.1, along with the muzzle brake, makes recoil negligible. The weight on this rifle is listed at 7 1/2 lbs. Trigger pull is crisp and clean and breaks at 4lbs 2oz according to my gauge.
I know it's not much fun to look at some one else's targets but I am attaching a couple just to give an idea of accuracy of this rifle. I think with some better glass on it, it may shoot even better.
If anyone has questions about this rifle, feel free to message me.
Thom

If
U.S. Army Veteran
NRA Life Member

"From My Cold Dead Hands."-Charlton Heston 2000
Thom28

Postby lungingturtle2 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Does anyone think there is a chance of bullet disintegration using pistol bullets at over twice the rpm? Need some testing done.
lungingturtle2

Postby Al in Mi » Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 pm

230gr nosler flat point FMJ's are on my to try list but not going to be for a couple weeks yet, might have some 300gr regular XTP's too.

jackets are fairly thin on both of them.
Al in Mi

Postby commander faschisto » Fri May 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Press on, brother...we really need to see what this unusual twist rate does with various 450b loads.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Bmt85 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:30 pm

So I just thought of something, maybe Ruger made it a 1:10 twist so one could try the Lehigh 465 or 570gr subsonics (sized down of course)! :o
Bmt85

Postby Handgunner » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Well I purchased one. Have not had the oppotunity to shoot it yet. Just had right hip replaced. Hoot that is not like you to prejudge. It may shoot great? Time will tell and if not I am sure Ruger will make it right. Love the looks!!! Has my Trijicon 1x4x24 30mm tube with green triangle mounted. Have had this scope mounted on several deer rifles including my Busy AR.
RETIRED
US ARMY VET. 1966/1968
Deputy Sheriff & Fire Fighter
Life Member NRA/1976
Firearms Enthusiast
Handgunner

PreviousNext

Return to Bolt Action Rifles