Mounts and Rings

I know of one so far, let's see if more show up.

Moderator: MudBug

Mounts and Rings

Postby ENCORE » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Have a friend that purchased the .450 RA and is wondering what scope mount and rings everyone's using.
He'll be putting a Leupold 3-9x40mm scope on the rifle.
ENCORE

Re: Mounts and Rings

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:12 pm

I like the Warnes or Leupolds PRW's on bolt guns, DNZ makes about the best 1 piece there is.
Al in Mi

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Whatever you choose, be sure you get enough eye relief. On the BM450 AR platform, a lot of people use offset rings like the Burris PEPR or the Nikon P-series. I am using the Nikon offsets, since it is two piece and gives you more flexibility on how you mount it, if you don't have a full rail.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-ar-pepr-scope-mount-w-picatinny-tops.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-series-mount.html
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby CJP1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:51 pm

I recently purchased a RAR with the Ruger picatinny rail. I mounted a Swift Premier 4-12X40 in Burris medium Signature Zee Rings. I shot it twelve times including one time taking a nice buck. In the mean time, I read the it was a scope killer, so I purchased a Leupold VX-2 3-9X40 scope and Burris XTR Signature 1" high rings. I'm taking it to the range this weekend to sight it in. If you are planning on shooting long distances, the Burris XTR Signature rings have offset inserts to cant the scope down in the front and up in the rear so a flat picatinny rail is all you need. Another plus with these rings is that the inserts grip better than steel rings, so you won't have to worry about the scope moving under recoil. The inserts can also be used to correct any misalignment between the bore and the scope base. These rings are big and beefy looking as well as pricey but you won't be disappointed with them.
CJP1

Postby plant_one » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:06 am

scope killer? lol thats a good one. Maybe Tasco, ncstar, barfska or BSA killer, but those dont count as actual real scopes :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 22lr's kill those things :lol: :lol:

we're not talking about a huge overbore magnum here.... its a straight walled cartridge loaded to lower pressures than a 223. yes its got a bit of recoil because of the weight of the bullet, but its not all that man.

thanks for the good laugh, i needed that this morning with my coffee 8-)
plant_one

Postby CJP1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:26 pm

plant-one,
So glad that you got such a good laugh at my expence. That was my first post on this board. Thank you for making me feel so welcome (NOT)! I was just passing along info that I had read about the light and short Ruger American 450 Bushmaster rifle. If you stopped laughing long enough you would see that the bulk of my post was about the rings that I bought and their advantages over other rings. I'm so glad that you can afford good/expensive scopes for your rifles. That can't be said for all of the people reading this forum. I don't see the need to belittle someone for not being able to buy quality optics. You don't know me or a lot of people on this forum, yet you slam us for buying inexpensive scopes. Why? The only scope that I have had go south on me was a Bushnell 3-9 Sportview that I had a gunsmith put on my first deer rifle when I was a teenager. It was all that I could afford at the time. BTW: That rifle was a 30-30 Win not a 22LR.
CJP1

Postby plant_one » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 am

i wasnt laughing at you, so much as i was about the information you were given/read about the cartridge and its perceived abilits as a "scope killer".

all optic company's can and do have bad scopes, however a very cheap optic is going to be more likely to suffer than something from a quality manufacturer, which is why i said those brands mentioned are prone to failure on rimfires as much as anything. its not the firearm thats the problem - its the quality of the construction of the optic that is.

and while i appreciate that ar's tend to soften the felt recoil of a firearm over a bolt gun, the 450 bushmaster still isnt all that - especially with standard factory offerings. specialty ammo, and custom handloads can be loaded quite a bit more stout, but thats not a common experience for the typical shooter to encounter.

your vx2 is an awesome scope, nothing wrong there at all, i wish you years of good luck with it. i often buy optics quite a bit lower on the price point for my firearms, but i dont typically go with brands like i mentioned which i know to be pure 100% crap. so i promise i'm not a optic snob by any definition - i just know crap when something is crap and i'm not afraid to call it crap. like when i buy vortex scopes, which is one of my favorite brands, i stay the hell away from the crossfire II optics because of the QC issues they're known for. however i've got a collection of diamondbacks which are a durable, workhorse grade optic with nice glass in them.
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:10 am

First off welcome aboard, great board with great guys.

Never heard of those Ruger's being scope killers and there's a ton of them around here. Most I know run the vx2 leo with the cds knobs calibrated for the 450. Think they are $300ish. Nice glass for the price.
Al in Mi

Postby winman1550 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:52 pm

That's funny, I heard the same things about 450's being hard on scopes. After hunting with a 1187 12ga slug gun and thought it was tame for 15 yrs. Have a Simmons Whitetail Classic on it. Lasted all this time and never had to re-zero. After getting my AR 450 I can shoot it all day long if only I had more ammo. Put a Nikon Slugmaster on it. Works great! I am interested in hearing of the problems with the Vortex Crossfire ii. A friend has one 3-9x50 illuminated on a CVA 450. Shoots the crap out of it and no problems for about 6months. I was looking at getting one. Like to know any problems.

Thanks as always.
Greeg
winman1550

Postby CJP1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:00 am

plant_one,
Sorry about being so sensitive with your reply as I was having a rough day. Scope killer info was good excuse for new scope and rings :D . I didn't want to shake up Swift scope as I wanted to put back on rifle I borrowed it from. I understand what you were saying about the quality of some scopes. If people could wait and save their hard earned money, they then could purchase a better quality scope. My nephew and I will be going to the range today. I took the muzzle brake off of the 450 BM to see what the recoil is like and I don't like the added noise. Will see if it can kill the Leupold ha ha.

Al in Mi,
Thanks for the welcome. I just finished ordering dies, bullets and brass for reloading the 450 BM. Will be checking velocity of Black factory rounds today. Will be tinkering with the three different weight Hornady FTX bullets to see what my rifle likes the best. When I do, I'll send the info into Leupold so they can make me the correct turret for that load.

I'm still looking for load data for these three bullets fired in a bolt action rifle with a 1 in 16 twist. If anyone reading this post has any that you have not posted here already, I would sure appreciate you sharing them with me.
CJP1

Next

Return to Bolt Action Rifles